585,575 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

pick off on threads

I'm fairly new to turning bone screws, i have made a few styles with no problem but my newest one has a very thin major diameter(.004 crest) and when i pick off i damage the threads. any ideas?

When I pick off on threads I always set my sub collet as loose as possible, almost to the point of the part slipping in the sub, or just tight enough to not produce a cutoff nib. (Assuming you dont have any back work to do)

I have had a couple parts that I simply could not grab on the threads. When that happens I zip tie a basket (plastic bowl) to the sub and just let the parts drop in. This might not work for you depending on if you can de-nib the screw by hand.

Final thought: use a non hardened "emergency" or "temporary" collet. I believe both Hardinge and S&M make them. probably wont hold up great but since its soft it might treat your threads a little nicer.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

You can also reduce torque on sub while cutting off. This helps minimize damage to part while being cutoff. Basically, part is just going for the ride with sub while being cutoff. I have cutoff fine threaded parts no thicker that .070 this way with no problem on threads