585,676 active members*
4,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

changing chucking direction

I have a Takisawa TC-20 lathe with a Fanuc 21-TB control. I would like to change the chucking direction so I can clamp on the ID of my part. I can't find anything in the machine manual to indicate that this is possible, but the manual isn't the greatest either. Does anybody know if this is possible at all?

Chuck in Takisawa machine is made for both operations. there are two ways to change that generaly in all machines.
    1. M-code. check the M-code list.
    2. By key switch or selector switch on the machine or in the electrical panel. check for that.
    and still if u can't find u have to check the machine ladder. there u can find it.

Check the first couple of pages of parameters. Usually on Fanuc, there is a setting for clamping direction. I think it is 0 for OD and 1 for ID. You have to be in MDI mode and change the PWE setting before changing this parameter and then change the PWE setting back before proceeding.

changing parameters to set the chuck clamp direction is not normal on Fanuc. I've never seen any Fanuc where I had to change a parameter to set clamp direction under normal operation. It has to be operator changeable. Operator means 'button-pusher'.

press the hard CUSTOM button. there should be a chuck OD/ID clamp setting in there. move it using left/right arrows.

if not some machines have a physical switch somewhere on the outside of the machine usually near the chuck pressure gauge that can be set to clamp OD/ID. When this switch is moved the chuck will change direction and physically move from clamp to unclamp so be careful if you have a part clamped in the chuck or it will fall out.

(Redacted due to conflict.)

I mistakenly assumed the original poster carefully looked the control panel over for a switch or button to change clamping direction.

MDI not parameters.

I disagree TX. I currently run a Hardinge T-42 and it is a simple G code in MDI not parameters. Note: Chuck needs to usually be closed to change chucking direction in MDI mode. So look at the machines list of codes close the chuck and change to internal chucking mode.

Hardinge is not a great example. They do things a lot different than most other builders, not necessarily bad, just a lot different, all the takasawas I worked on had panel buttons for Id/od or through custom on some models. Hardinge uses an mcode that changes a machine side parameter, you can do it either way on our hardinge.

Our Takisawa TC 20 works with M89 for id clamp and M88 for od clamping.for id clamping input m89 and cycle start and you are good to go.

Thanks sepganesh. M88 and M89 it is. I had actually tried this before, but I got an error message about not being able to complete the command or something like that, so I assumed it wasn't working, but it actually does toggle the chucking direction, even if it errors out.

Re: changing chucking direction

How in doosan, change id to od vice vesa

Re: changing chucking direction

Quote Originally Posted by crazycnc View Post
    Thanks sepganesh. M88 and M89 it is. I had actually tried this before, but I got an error message about not being able to complete the command or something like that, so I assumed it wasn't working, but it actually does toggle the chucking direction, even if it errors out.
    i can easily help you if you download the ladder from the machine and post it here or send it to my email:[email protected] assume you do not have the M code finish due to some reason but that is easy fix.