584,860 active members*
4,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Recommendations - Micro Mill to CNC Conversion - What mill should I start with.

Recommendations - Micro Mill to CNC Conversion - What mill should I start with.

For starters this is what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to prototype a small part about 3x3x2 from plastic and aluminum. It would be a 3D part so I'm assuming i would just flip the part over in order to mill the opposite side half way through. I want to convert a micro or mini mill to a CNC mill because this is my first venture into CNC world and I believe this would be a little easier then building a homemade machine. For a budget im trying to stay around $600 for the mill and then another $600 for the conversion for a grand total of about $1200.

Here are the mills im looking at......

MicroLux Micor Milling Machine - 84659

Proxxon MF70

Harbor Freight/Grizzley/Siag X2

My major issue with the X2 is the weight. I don't have a shop and i live in an upstairs condo so the smaller the better. Anyone have recommendations on what i should do? Links for turnkey kits in my budget for these machines?

Eventually I want to build a machine but the driving factor right now is prototyping this part so im trying to shorten the time to production. I'm also open to any high quality micro/mini CNC kits that could accomplish what im trying to do.

Have you looked at a CNC ready Taig? It might suit your needs a bit better. Keep in mind you'll need a controller on top of the mill and the conversion, so it won't all happen for 1200.00

Quote Originally Posted by Winnfield View Post
    Have you looked at a CNC ready Taig? It might suit your needs a bit better. Keep in mind you'll need a controller on top of the mill and the conversion, so it won't all happen for 1200.00
    I did but at 2k+ it was a little outside of my range.

There are other machines I would look at like, XJ95
    Mini Milling and Drilling Machine << Metal Working Machinery << Online Catalog << Penn Tool Co.
    O wait for grizzlys tent sale and grab a g0704.
    LittleMachineShop will have Sieg SX1s in stock soon.
    They also have the Sieg SX2 solid column. Thats the bigest set back on a x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    There are other machines I would look at like, XJ95
    Mini Milling and Drilling Machine << Metal Working Machinery << Online Catalog << Penn Tool Co.
    O wait for grizzlys tent sale and grab a g0704.
    LittleMachineShop will have Sieg SX1s in stock soon.
    They also have the Sieg SX2 solid column. Thats the bigest set back on a x2.
    Im assuming you mean the biggest setback to the X2 is the weight?

I really think that this decision should depend on what you are going to cut and how often.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I really think that this decision should depend on what you are going to cut and how often.
    Mostly 3D plastic shapes once or twice a week. I just want something that will cut Plastic and Aluminum accurately, Im not concerned if it needs to go slow in order to do it

The Taig is 2K with a controller, though. By the time you put one on an X2 with a kit, you will be close to that. You can get a Taig complete with a Gecko G540 setup for under 1800.00, which is just about the same as the X2 will cost when complete. I would definitely find an alternative to the X2, as it is a turd. Avoid it if you can. People have made nice parts on them because of their skill, not the machine. it used to be a good machine to start out with, but with alternatives like the BF 16 type machines, it would make little sense, unless you just have to have a bolt-on kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnfield View Post
    The Taig is 2K with a controller, though. By the time you put one on an X2 with a kit, you will be close to that. You can get a Taig complete with a Gecko G540 setup for under 1800.00, which is just about the same as the X2 will cost when complete. I would definitely find an alternative to the X2, as it is a turd. Avoid it if you can. People have made nice parts on them because of their skill, not the machine. it used to be a good machine to start out with, but with alternatives like the BF 16 type machines, it would make little sense, unless you just have to have a bolt-on kit.
    Do you have any links for where I can find it for 1800?

This will be tough.

My general answer is to buy a bigger machine than you think you need! Fortunately your parts are small so that isn't a huge issue. Unfortunately your budget is extremely tight.

So my first suggestion is the hardest one, address your budget to reflect reality.

Quote Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
    For starters this is what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to prototype a small part about 3x3x2 from plastic and aluminum. It would be a 3D part so I'm assuming i would just flip the part over in order to mill the opposite side half way through.
    You really can't make assumptions like that. You really need to be able to visualize the parts machining 100% of the way through and understand how the part would be held each step of the way through. Some parts might require four axis for example. Others may require multiple fixtures.

The need for multiple fixtures may force you into buying a larger machine than you expect. Parts that look simple in your mind may require extensive thought to realize on a CNC machine.
    I want to convert a micro or mini mill to a CNC mill because this is my first venture into CNC world and I believe this would be a little easier then building a homemade machine.
    Very true but complete CNC machines are not cheap.
    For a budget im trying to stay around $600 for the mill and then another $600 for the conversion for a grand total of about $1200.
    Not knowing more about what you are doing I'd have to say you are out of luck. I don't even think you can get into something like a Tiag for that price and their is no assurance that a Tiag is a suitable machine. Beyond that we haven't even determined if a fourth axis is needed.
    Here are the mills im looking at......

MicroLux Micor Milling Machine - 84659

Proxxon MF70

Harbor Freight/Grizzley/Siag X2

My major issue with the X2 is the weight. I don't have a shop and i live in an upstairs condo so the smaller the better.
    Assuming the condo isn't in the process of falling down weight is not an issue, you could go to an X3 or G0704 size machine without issue. Interestingly the floor space doesn't change drastically with these machines.
    Anyone have recommendations on what i should do? Links for turnkey kits in my budget for these machines?
    I think you are out of luck honestly. Your budget is extremely tight and we have yet to determine exactly what you need.
    Eventually I want to build a machine but the driving factor right now is prototyping this part so im trying to shorten the time to production. I'm also open to any high quality micro/mini CNC kits that could accomplish what im trying to do.
    Seriously consider hiring someone. Honestly if you want to shorten time to production with this prototyping don't let messing around with one of these so called CNC mills distract you. Leverage the experience of an experience CNC machinist!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Assuming the condo isn't in the process of falling down weight is not an issue, you could go to an X3 or G0704 size machine without issue. Interestingly the floor space doesn't change drastically with these machines.
    LOL. This actually did make me laugh out loud. No the condo isn't falling down and I guess I should have been a little more clear with what I ment..... square footage is at a premium in my place because its so small. Just trying not to get something thats too large because there will be times i probably need to move it out of the way

I agree with everything else your saying. I may be being totally unrealistic, but that's why im asking the questions

The Proxxon I think will be the only one you can do in that budget IF you're thrifty. I'm in the process myself, and just waiting on a couple of parts to complete.

A Taig for 1730 +shipping from DeepGroove1 on Ebay is about the minimum machine I would use for aluminum. It actually does ok if you bear in mind its limited horsepower on steel and cast iron as well. You could actually make it with slightly bigger steppers and the same electronics as Paul's for a couple dollars less, but his is basically assemble and go. No Paul isn't my favorite person on the planet (he hasn't treated me bad, but some have heartburn over his past offerings), but his current offering is quite decent. (He actually gave me some decent after the sale service and information.)

Just add computer and Mach3.

I get a certain amount of production work out of mine, although mine is also highly modified.

Sorry to any Proxxon fans, but I have never seen one up close.

The next more rigid machine is probably an Emco F1 for a lot more money.

The next close machine is probably the MaxNC now made by XiMotion. I have one, and while it does have antibacklash nuts the Taig doesn't have its not as rigid, and it has rigid couplers. Unless XiMotion has made some changes, the screws are just supported by the nuts and the motors. The MaxNC 5 is substantially smaller and a little cheaper. The 15CL has some advantages, but it costs more.

If you want more envelope, but at the sacrifice of rigidity a plastic or MDF gantry style router might be ok.

I do not think of Taig as more than a hobby mill, but it really is probably the best bang for your buck in an almost ready to go CNC mill.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

The Proxxon MF70 is extremely small

and not that great a candidate for CNC conversion. If all you're making are jewelry parts, it might work for you, but otherwise it might be more hassle than it's worth.

The Chinese machines you're looking at are okay for straightforward manual 2.5D projects in steel, but you might find they need some work to perform smoothly enough for your intricate 3D projects in plastic and aluminum. Their relatively slow spindle speeds will work against you there as well. And this forum is full of people struggling with their plastic gears.

The Taig is probably your best bet of the machines you're considering. From a discount vendor (like me, for instance) you can get a reduction in price of about 10% on a CNC-ready model, which lists for $999 (for the shorter-bed 2018 CR-ER). All you'd have to add is a controller and some stepper motors. Although you can get cheaper ones, I'd suggest the Gecko G540 for its performance, support, and ease of set0up. They go for about $300, and all you'd need to add is an enclosure to put it in (like an old computer case), a power supply (up to 50v) and some fans, heat-sink mounting, switches, and cables, which you can probably find for not too much money. If you do the assembly work yourself, you can probably find all that for $200 or so.

If that's still too much money, you might check out the Sherline 5000 CNC, which wasn't on your list but should have been. It's a well-made (in the USA) machine with a really nice variable-speed DC spindle motor on it. Smaller than the Taig, it's still a giant compared to the Proxxon, and the CNC-ready model lists for $905.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com &mdash; Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Just remember they don't call them vertical mills for nothing.

Most of the mills discussed so far are not going to cover a lot of square feet. However weight might be a factor if you don't put the mill on a nice roll around bench. I guess it depends upon how much time you spend in the gym. My point was that a mill of less than 300 pounds shouldn't impact a modern residential dwelling.

Quote Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
    LOL. This actually did make me laugh out loud. No the condo isn't falling down and I guess I should have been a little more clear with what I ment..... square footage is at a premium in my place because its so small. Just trying not to get something thats too large because there will be times i probably need to move it out of the way
    There are other options. For example rent a space someplace that will allow for a mill and a bit of workspace. Another option is to see if there is a hackers pace in your area. Ideally a hackers space with a CNC mill.
    I agree with everything else your saying. I may be being totally unrealistic, but that's why im asking the questions
    I think it will be difficult to come even close to your budget. That does depend upon where you are starting from, if you have any CNC hardware now or can come up with some used hardware you can change the economics of a DIY CNC mill.

Even if you come up with the CNC hardware it doesn't make much sense to buy any mill before you know what is involved in machining that part. Just remember it is very easy to buy to little but a lot harder to buy to much. If you want to avoid DIY consider looking at what the Little Machine Shop has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    There are other options. For example rent a space someplace that will allow for a mill and a bit of workspace. Another option is to see if there is a hackers pace in your area. Ideally a hackers space with a CNC mill.
    Ahhh the brilliant idea for this week. Turns out there is a hacker space locally! Defiantly going to check them out. It may actually make more sense to build a machine if I can get access to some bench tools. Thanks for the awesome tip!

If you are in the Houston area, the hackerspace has many manual and cnc tools. Free BBQ on Friday nights too. 1 warning, nerds dont cook well. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    If you are in the Houston area, the hackerspace has many manual and cnc tools. Free BBQ on Friday nights too. 1 warning, nerds dont cook well. :-)
    Heh not somuch. I'm in Jacksonville FL.