585,715 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Increasing speed on Multicam/Hypertherm unit

Increasing speed on Multicam/Hypertherm unit

Just last fall we purchased a Multicam 3000 unit with a Hypertherm 130 on it. We have been learning alot with it as we go on settings and such. One thing we are having troubles with is the speed of the unit. We use the EZ-Gcode software that came with the unit for nesting and tool path creation. It is quick and easy to use. What i would like to do is find a way to cut down on the number of pierces on the parts. By doing so this should speed up production somewhat. Right now we use the "preset" output for the feeds and speeds that hypertherm uses and we get very good cut quality. I was told by multicam i can deviate from these settings some but it may sacrifice quality. What i am looking into is there an easy way for when nesting parts that dont have any internal holes in them to do away with the pierces and up and down motions after each part is cut? Basicly what i want it to do is come down and make one pierce and then go from part to part and never raise off the part till its done with all the ones on that sheet. Any advice or help on this is appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

Andy,

What you are looking for is the chain cutting function in your Cam nesting software. I am not overly familiar with the EZ-Gcode software that you are using....so I sent an email to a friend of mine that happens to work for MultiCam....I am sure he will get back to me soon.

Hypertherm has CAM software that can easily do what you need to do...and more....however lets see if what you have will improve your process as well.

Here is a link to the MTC software that is offered by Hypertherm....we closely link the CAM software to the other Hypertherm components in the system....and MultiCam works with this software as well.

Nesting & Process Optimization Software | Hypertherm

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by chevelless502 View Post
    Just last fall we purchased a Multicam 3000 unit with a Hypertherm 130 on it. We have been learning alot with it as we go on settings and such. One thing we are having troubles with is the speed of the unit. We use the EZ-Gcode software that came with the unit for nesting and tool path creation. It is quick and easy to use. What i would like to do is find a way to cut down on the number of pierces on the parts. By doing so this should speed up production somewhat. Right now we use the "preset" output for the feeds and speeds that hypertherm uses and we get very good cut quality. I was told by multicam i can deviate from these settings some but it may sacrifice quality. What i am looking into is there an easy way for when nesting parts that dont have any internal holes in them to do away with the pierces and up and down motions after each part is cut? Basicly what i want it to do is come down and make one pierce and then go from part to part and never raise off the part till its done with all the ones on that sheet. Any advice or help on this is appreciated.

Thanks
    Andy

Thanks Jim for offering to help me on this. I ran onto the ProNest software today as well and i am waiting on getting a trial version going of it and see how it will perform for me as well.

Andy

Andy,

Kris at Multicam indicated that he had responded to you as well.

Jim

Thanks Jim for offering to help me on this. I ran onto the ProNest software today as well and i am waiting on getting a trial version going of it and see how it will perform for me as well.

Andy

Yes he did. Thank you. I sent him a print of a part we run and am just waiting to hear back from him.

Andy

pronest

I am new here and cant find the appropriate place to post this question, sorry if this is not the place.
    I have run pro nest for several years, or at least have personnel that have operated it for awhile. Recently in the pipe program of pro nest I started seeing discrepancies when creating a flat pattern for a square to round transition all of the transitions that I layout are about one material thickness off. I see a for 4 inch od 14ga. tube the flat pattern should be 12.2704 long in the flat, pro nest is generating 12.3289. I can cheat it by changing the base size, OD size, etc and my flat patterns come out correct. It acts like there is a K factor that is not correct, but I have no idea if they work with a K factor or not. I guess I am looking for any suggestions that might help with a remedy for this.

Stimey,

I would suggest you contact MTC tech service directly...they will be happy to help answer your questions....or if you want send me your contact info to my direct email and I'll ask them to contact you directly.

Jim Colt Hypertherm [email protected]

MTC direct contact:
    United States
    22 West Main Street, Lockport, NY 14094
    Phone: +1 (716) 434-3755
    Fax: +1 (716) 434-3711
    Email: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Stimey View Post
    I am new here and cant find the appropriate place to post this question, sorry if this is not the place.
    I have run pro nest for several years, or at least have personnel that have operated it for awhile. Recently in the pipe program of pro nest I started seeing discrepancies when creating a flat pattern for a square to round transition all of the transitions that I layout are about one material thickness off. I see a for 4 inch od 14ga. tube the flat pattern should be 12.2704 long in the flat, pro nest is generating 12.3289. I can cheat it by changing the base size, OD size, etc and my flat patterns come out correct. It acts like there is a K factor that is not correct, but I have no idea if they work with a K factor or not. I guess I am looking for any suggestions that might help with a remedy for this.

pro nest

LOL my company has let there subscription run out, so when I call them they are not able to help any longer, they were very nice about it but to the point about it as well. This puts me in a situation

Stimey
    I'd be happy to see what we can do. Please send me an email [email protected] I will see what we can do.

Stephen McDonald
    North American Sales Manager
    MTC Software

Quote Originally Posted by Stimey View Post
    LOL my company has let there subscription run out, so when I call them they are not able to help any longer, they were very nice about it but to the point about it as well. This puts me in a situation

Pro nest

E mail sent

Thanks
    Andy
    Can you conect the geometry together so the software thinks it's one part? We use SDS software and don't do a lot of the same parts at one time. So I don't know I'm just throwing an idea out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcallister74 View Post
    Can you conect the geometry together so the software thinks it's one part? We use SDS software and don't do a lot of the same parts at one time. So I don't know I'm just throwing an idea out there.
    Yes i can do that but some of the parts have 200-250 parts per sheet so it becomes very time consuming to go thru that process.

Thanks for the idea though!

Andy

With the correct nesting / CAM software this process only takes a couple of seconds. Chain cutting is fairly common in industrial applications...and it is pretty much automated with software like MTC ProNest, which also provides for a lot of other time and cost saving advantages such as collision avoidance, best plate utilization and others...depending on the other equipment (Plasma, height control, cnc) installed on the machine.

I have seen some cutting jobs with one start and over 4 hours of continuous cutting on 5/8" and 3/4" steel plate.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Yes i can do that but some of the parts have 200-250 parts per sheet so it becomes very time consuming to go thru that process.

Thanks for the idea though!

Andy