585,760 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sieg X2 Engraving Idea / Question...

Sieg X2 Engraving Idea / Question...

Hi Folks,

In pondering spindle RPM's (I'll be using a 4k belt driven spindle mod), and having used a Dremel for experimentation on a smaller home-brewed CNC machine, I came up with an idea for using a dremel on a CNC'd X2 mill: Why not attach it via the chip shield mount holes on the front of the head and use a plate bolted to the bed to extend the work forward enough for the Dremel? It'd be easy enough, just a bracket for holding a dremel, bolt on using the existing mounting holes. I realize a Dremel isn't ideal as a do-all spindle, but I've seen it do nice engraving.

The whole thought process here is, just how well would 4k RPM do for engraving? Would using something like a Dremel as an engraving attachment be a viable alternative to a complete high-speed spindle replacement, would it be worthwhile for occasional engraving tasks?

Thanks!
    Paul

Paul
    i have an x1 that i regularly use for engraving ali and it works fine at 2000 rpm using
    a ball nose end mill.
    also have a gantry cnc that runs a dremel and that is a bit better using properly ground engraving tips.
    mike

'itsme' has done a nice mod on his X1 which should work for the X2. He used a dremel flexible drive and mounted it directly in the standard spindle with a custom adapter and hollow drawbar I believe. The actual Dremel was kept well out of the way. Looked great and very neat. You might want to look him up on the forum.