585,749 active members*
3,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Z plane

Page 1 of 2 12

Z plane

ok so i put an auto cad file on a flash drive and took it to my shop plugged it in to my computer and opened it on master cam it was a DXF so i had no problems except that it rotated somehow to being on a z plane instead of a x y plane. in cad it is on a x y plane so i don't know why it changed is there a way to rotate the plane the drawing is on in master cam. thanks

I assume you mean the DXF is showing on the YZ plane. You can either rotate the entities or you can just change to another WCS/Tplane/Cplane. Which do you want to do?

i want to make it so my top view is the xy plane not the yz.

Open the WCS Manager. Highlight the Front WCS and click on the '=' button. Close that dialog box. Change to ISO Gview for reference. Then Xform > Rotate >All > All Entities > End Selection. On the Rotate dialog, Move > 90 (or -90 depending on which side needs to be up) > Ok. Open the WCS Manager. Highlight the Top WCS and click on the '=' button. Close that dialog box. Change to Top Gview. Your entities should be be shown rotated to the XY plane and in Top view.

What version of Mastercam are you using?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I'm a high school student and I'm designing a ski. Let me reword my question above. I drew the ski with autocad 2010 and saved the file as an AutoCAD 2007 dxf. When I open the dxf file at the high school shop on MasterCam X4 it appears on the Z plane so we see the side view of our ski instead of the top view. Did I do something wrong in AutoCAD that is easy to fix? If this can't be fixed in AutoCAD, how can I orient the Ski in MasterCam so I can see the top view on the Y plane. We tried the WCS manager instructions provided in the post above and we could rotate the ski, but we could not change the axis that the ski is on. Thanks for any help.

do you have the file from either softwares to share with me?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Yes see attached dxf files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try these:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow, thanks a ton!! i noticed that i messed up some how not having it all put together. i saw you fixed that. Was there other things you changed?

Nothing changed from the very exact direction given before. Maybe you just need to practice a little with MasterCam. Most people do. Took me about 3 weeks to get decent with it at 8 hours per day.

ya nm about changing the drawing i was mistakin but did you do any thing to them so they would rotate right on mastercam?

Quote Originally Posted by ken1237 View Post
    ya nm about changing the drawing i was mistakin but did you do any thing to them so they would rotate right on mastercam?
    No. Nothing was changed except rotation of entities.

Review picture and see if this helps.real easy to set as new top in MC. what you are seeing is Atocads Top is MC front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ski1.jpg  
    Cadcam

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Review picture and see if this helps.real easy to set as new top in MC. what you are seeing is Atocads Top is MC front.

Z Plane? Isn't that what the little midget used to yell on Fantasy Island?

I haven't used Acad since R14, but I don't recall any issue with importing dxfs into MC. Maybe there is a setting. Solidworks, however, always comes in on the wrong plane. ??

If you're not familiar with WCS, Txcncmans suggestion may be the simplest way to go, but I would go with Cadcams way. As a rule, you should never, never, translate a part. It will bite you in the Arse at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    As a rule, you should never, never, translate a part. It will bite you in the Arse at some point.
    I agree with this, with the addition that you should never translate a customer's part from the customer's original coordinates and envelope. In the case of the original post, I think it is clear they are working with their own design.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I agree with this, with the addition that you should never translate a customer's part from the customer's original coordinates and envelope. In the case of the original post, I think it is clear they are working with their own design.
    Many customers are now mandating that models NOT be moved. It took me a while, but I now understand why.

In this guy's case, if he created a new WSC, or made an existing plane his WCS, if he made changes to his ACAD drawing, and resaved it, his MC file would be already set to go. If he translated the part, then imported a revised part, he would have to translae the new part over agian. I thinks you know what I mean.

But, for a beginner, working with the WCS may not be real clear, so I can see where translating the part may be the easiest way to get the job done.

Thanks I have tried this form your first post, were you explained how to do this. It still would not switch?

Quote Originally Posted by ken1237 View Post
    Thanks I have tried this form your first post, were you explained how to do this. It still would not switch?
    Ken you are telling me you followed what I said and it did not work and create it flate like my picture in the back round?
    Cadcam

Ken you are telling me you followed what I said and it did not work and create it flate like my picture in the back round?
    yes

Page 1 of 2 12