584,837 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Software questions

I have a '92 Partner 4 with the Centurion V control and a couple of questions about the software for the mill.

First, I was trying to rough mill out a tapered cone shape. Starts out about 4.5" diameter, goes to 6.5" diameter at Z-1.5". I figured I would just do a tapered thread mill pass around the outside like I was thread milling.... Went into the conversational side and couldn't find the thread milling routine.... read very manual, every scrap of paper and couldn't figure it out, then remembered I had practice on my laptop that I had downloaded the CNC Simulator software off the Milltronics website onto. Ah Ha! There it was, F8 or something that said "Thredmill", so pop in my parameters and run verify and I get my cone like I want.... go back to the mill and F8 thredmill isn't even an option.

So, I assume this was added into the software at some point? Now, if I run the simulator, can I save the program and send it to the Mill and would the mill recognize/understand the program? I can always draw the 3D part in Alibre, export the STL and code it in my CAM system, but the conversational part would be much easier and faster.

Second issue, my machine has the back gear style head, but without the variable speed sheaves, uses the VFD to control rpm. I have the brake air cylinder on the side of the head, I'm not sure why it's there, as at no time do I ever seem to see the brake get actuated. No need during tool changes as I have the air cylinder that pushes down and releases the gripper on the tools. The VFD slows and stops the spindle and doesn't seem to need the brake.

So, what m-code will actually control the solenoid that would kick that brake in? I'd like to use the solenoid, m-code and air output to run mist coolant. Or, given that I have a button, an m-code (M07)
    for mist coolant, what/where would I hook a solenoid to run an air line for mist coolant?

Still would like to know what m-code runs the brake though, could always use it for something else...

Brian, your software version is dated 12/31/1991. There have been a LOT of changes/additions to the Milltronics Centurion control since then. The older software would probably have problems running the newer code but you can try to verify the program. If it verifies, it should run.

You will have to trace the wiring from solenoid connected to the brake air cylinder to determine which output pin controls it. Then you can look at the appropriate Display-Diagnostic screen to see if the HEX files turns it on with an M5 command.

Xout2 is the Mist output so you can use that output to activate a 24vdc coil solenoid directly by connecting one side of the coil to TB12(24vdc) and the other side to the #2 pin on the X output plug. The outputs turn on/off the 0vdc signal of the 24vdc power.

You can control any of the un-used outputs. For example, to turn on the Xout10, you use a SETX10 command, and to turn it off, use a CLRX10 command.

You can create your own 'Custom M and G Codes' to do many things by controlling outputs and monitoring inputs.

Well, I didn't have any luck with using the code from the simulator, so went ahead and coded it using my CAD/CAM situation.

Will play with the solenoids and M-codes and see what I can figure out.

Another question popped up today, after I got my "cone" roughed out, I wrote the program for the final pass, turned out to be about 2mb of 3D code... which took about 45 minutes to load into the machine. I tried to then run the program on verify to make sure it would run correctly... it ran into "illegal format" at some point (will try it again tomorrow and write down the line numbers.... but the question is, I have a program too large to run other than DNC, can I open it and edit it on the Mill, or do I have to make changes in my laptop and re-load the program?

I wasn't sure, given that it can't normally open the program to run it, whether it would open all of it or just part in the editing situation.... so I didn't want to go a couple thousand lines into it, make a change, click Yes to save and find I truncated the last two thirds of the program or something.....

You are exactly right, it will truncate the program. Edit the program on your laptop and then load it to the machine, or DNC it from the RS232 port.

Think about a network connection, lots faster than RS232.

Hi ZZZZ,

Check my other post about DNC settings.... did work on it today, still having issues, I suspect I don't have the correct flow control (hand shaking) setting.... Also not sure where/how I set a buffer amount.... didn't find a parameter in the machine for that, and can't seem to find that in my software on the laptop either.... probably just not looking in the right place.

I do have a network card already per your advice, still trying to sort out other issues and get this thing up and running before I tear into that issue.