585,761 active members*
4,101 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

hardware and software

Hello- and thanks for taking time to read this. i am a cnc machinist with 28 years experience in tool and die, and am looking for my first cnc router/mill engraver for some small businees ideas i have in mind. if this question has been asked before, please direct me to the appropriate thread.

what i am looking for would be an entry level machine, with an approximate work envelope of 24"x36" with Z axis of 10". its primary function would be in wood, and non-metals, with the capacaity to contour mill, and do light engraving in metals.

software to go with the machine to perform per above outline, using scans of artwork to vector and g code generation, and straight g code programming for basic functions.

again, thanks for any help!

It might be worth your time to check-out the Zenbot line of products. They are fast, inexpensive and accurate. The largest table length is a little shorter than what you are looking for, but it might just work depending on your requirements. I personally have the smallest unit offered by Zenbot (Mini) and have been active in using it for several years with little to no maintenance. I don't think you are going to find very many options with a 10" Z travel. Perhaps slicing the model in your CAM software into multiple layers with the eye to recombine would work.

Zenbot CNC Routers

Somehow I doubt a real tool and die guy

will be very impressed with the accuracy of a ZenBot. They are inexpensive, and they do work to some degree, but for people who think in "tenths", even the best commercial routers will have a hard time measuring up...

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

I have been pleased with the results being within 0.002" of models I have created in my CAD system. Certainly much more expensive machines can hold a higher tolerance I'm sure, but at what cost? Ultimately, it comes down to what your budget it and getting the best value for the money. I too would be disappointed if I couldn't hold a tolerance exceeding tenths of a inch, but that is certainly not the case with the Zenbot Mini I have.

xcayba, thanks for your time taken to respond, i will check out the zenbot line. for the projects i have in mind, i would like to see if there if there is a market, and educate myself on working with different woods, feeds/speeds, cutters etc, while learning the software, so an entry level machine makes sense.

awerby, .0002" in steel is practical, though temperature comes in to play, i would be primarily working in wood, so .002" is fine. the only metal work i have in mind would be engraving. and yes, i am in fact a tool and die cnc machinist and have been since 1983, working with okuma, fanuc, and mitsubishi controls, primarily on lathes, though i was originally schooled on mills.

for g-code, use Cam Bam

short learning curve as good videos

one user has provided the help file in form of PDF; print this out in color and you'll have a great manual

also, lots of very good instruction [answers to questions] concerning 3D usage of Cam Bam in forum

forum has lots of really smart, focused and very helpful people