584,854 active members*
4,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Toolgrinding / Toolgrinding Machines > what do you use to cut off carbide drill bits and carbide endmills

what do you use to cut off carbide drill bits and carbide endmills

Would like to avoid using an abrasive type of cut off wheel due to the mess.Anyone use a band saw or a cold saw or whatever?thanks

carbide

we use an abrasive wheel on a chop saw

A wet tile saw might work and keep the dust down.

Matt

Abrasive cut off disc.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

any surface grinder or pedestal grinder?

When I need to reduce a carbide shaft, I grind a kerf around the circumference.
    About 90 degree kerf aproximatly 20 percent of the diameter deep.
    Then position then kerf cut shaft in a vice with the edge of the keft just on the edge of the vice jaw, tighten vice and strike the extruding shaft with a Hammer.
    It will break on the kerf.
    The better it is supported in the vice the cleaner the break will be.
    For best results match the radius of the shaft in the Jaws to get more contact area.
    If needed clean up the end on a grinder.

OMG,
    .035-.060 wide diamond cutoff wheel, lots of coolant, and 15 seconds on a surface grinder. It doesn't get much easier than this.

All of the above methods make me shudder and wonder if the posters understand micro-cracking in carbide tooling. The wet tile saw is the best guess here. (Very wet)

I don't mean to be a jackass but if cutting it is difficult what the heck are you going to do to put on a new end?
    Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Some carbide tools do come with too long of a shank and need to be shortened or you wear out just the first 1/4 in. and need it retipped.
    CarbideBob about sums it up and is how I would do it and am set-up to do it cause that's how we do it. When I cut them off I have a motorized 3 jaw chuck I put them in and use a .035 cutting disk (for carbide) and plenty of coolent in a spray bottle and hand feed it. This will not destroy your tool and you can resharpen and re-tip the end. Because many of our tools cost over $100.00 this saves a lot of cash.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

I sharpen drill bits (carbide and hss) with a 4axis cnc sharpener and a sharpener that uses coolant when grinding. I was just looking for suggestions. I have been looking for a surface grinder. I also thought that would be a good way to go. Thanks