585,715 active members*
3,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: MTI-1 board

Question MTI-1 board

When my machine tool changes when I use m25 or m6 the mti-1 board will not come back on with out me pulling one of the fuses out of the board ? It is a new board and the machine has a new spindle motor, does anybody have any ideas what I can try??? I have had this mill for three months and have not made one part with it but have spent a lot of mony trying to get it up and running, PLEASE HELP

The advantage of a seasoned service engineer is that they have seen a specific problem and have put in the time to know cause, effect, and solution. I have never seen your problem. But if you give me your email address, I can forward my KTK service class notes to you. It may help.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello PM sent Thanks

I noticed on my new MTI-1 card the two resistors numbers R11 and R12 are 330 ohms 5 watts on the old board they are 150 ohms 5 watts would this cause the problems?

Hello all, I have set my machine to the KTK service class notes and now the MTI-1 board will work when i do a tool change, but when I just let the spindle run for about a hour and try to do a tool change the MTI-1 board will not start with out me pulling the fuse on the MTI-1 board, then it will run again but I can not do a tool change, after about 6 hours of running the board goes off and every time I pull fuse and put back in light on MTI-1 board only stays on for about 15 seconds? I have checked the board with a infrared temp gun and nothing is very hot on the board I have also opened cabinet and put a big fan in front of it to see if that helped but did nothing for the problem, anybody have any suggestions?????????? Thanks

Have you checked the spindle motor thermal overload?

When I ran my spindle with the brake on (I have a problem with my machine where the auto brake doesn't work) the MTI-1 board blew it's SCR. that's the big black thyristor with the heat sink.

One symptom was that I could run the motor, but it would shut down after an hour or two. The interesting thing was that the MTI-1 board would shut down whether the spindle was running or not. It was a strange OL type of behavior. If the spindle was running when it shut down, the whole breaker OL would trip. If the spindle was not running, the MTI-1 seemed to be on OL, couldn't reset it, but after an hour or so, I could fire the machine back up.

I expect that some piece is on thermal OL.

Go through your MTI-1 board and inspect the electronics with a multimeter. If you need help testing your SCR, follow my guide in another post here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...eed_after.html

Replace what's broken. The only component on that board that's hard to replace is the transformer. Everything else is available on Mouser or at a local electronics junk yard.

I hate the MTI-1, but it's a very simple PCB at least. I managed to repair my system, and have been making parts for a couple of weeks now - spindle runs > 8 hours/day sometimes with no interruptions.