584,865 active members*
4,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PC Base DRO

Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation PC Base DRO

Hi All Gurus,
    I am building a PC Based CNC and need some Data Acquisition through Magnetic Linear Scale. I am looking for any support :idea: from you to read the encoder signals through COM (RS232) or USB. I have gone through Bill Tod's Thread but he is using some thing else than that of mine. My encoder have 9 wires and can connect to the DRO Supplied by the vendor (Welcome To Innovative) the worst thing is DRO has no O/P for PC.
    I have both encoder and dro from the same vendor. and wants to eliminate DRO while connecting the encoders to PC.

What about the printer port?
    I have input encoders directly without the buffers shown in the attached link.
    DRO SOFTWARE
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    What about the printer port?
    I have input encoders directly without the buffers shown in the attached link.
    DRO SOFTWARE
    Al.
    Hummm I have gone through it before. But My LPT is already populated with relay board and dont have any chance to add an PCI LPT port. so no choice but to go for Serial one (USB / RS232).
    I can have Cha A and Cha B TTL Signals through my encoder.

The only solution I can think of is using a uC (Arduino, PIC, etc...) to read the encoder and report the position via the serial port. Having said that, this is a very unusual approach. Most people don't bother reading an encoder... they just build a system that doesn't miss steps.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Stuckked

:drowning: Now i have encoders as per attached document and need interfacing module :drowning:
    Attached Files Attached Files

got some idea about LS7266R1...... checking out..............
    Prompting from expert appreciated

There is some info out there on the web, what kind of processor IC are you using?
    Quadrature Encoder and PIC 16F870
    Al.

Albert E.

What's wrong with their pc interface?

Welcome To Innovative
    Bill

Here's an inexpensive serial to RS422 adapter

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/RS232-To-RS422-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003MMS92O]Amazon.com: RS232 To RS422 Converter Adapter: Computers & Accessories[/ame]
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

That is not made for differential RS420 encoders though.
    Al.

Albert E.

@ bill,
    The PCI card is discontinued, and also its not only to apply something but to learn a bit out of that.

@ al_the_man
    please have a look on DRO_Plus Project - by Tom Kulaga, I want to do the exactly same but for the PCI. as ISA slots are now not available on the motherboards. also its not worth to use any kind of ISA to PCI converter

@bobsch

Only converting the signals from RS422 to RS232 or the serial is not the solution. Basically we have to decode the signals so that it can gives out the values and the direction(+/-). i agree that this can be done with software but that will create a timing lack and will result in to missing out some pulses. missing a pulse will cost me about 5 micron where as my scale will move with the speed 10mm (10K micron) / sec.
    if we consider a idle pc it will take almost 3 microseconds to calculate the direction and the values.
    with the help of internal card i am planning to give an packaged output to the pc which is already decoded and hence will take the lesser time to read. also the timing lack will be less as the computing is done at IC level with 33 or 66MHz clock (PCI Clock runs on the 33 or 66 MHz frequency) also by choosing the pci card we are avoiding to build the extra ref. clock and other.

Which scales do you have (or intend to buy)? - the document describes three types PPL TTL and HTL which have different power and output voltages.

If the cable run is short <2m then you could probably use the 5v ones and only one leg of the TTL differential output (saving the need for a 422 receiver) . You could feed this straight into one of a DSPIC's quadrature inputs. (see: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/70063D.pdf) - The DSPIC 33 series have two encoders on-chip - The dsPIC33FJ32 is only about $3 in quantity (and Microchip will supply free samples!)

Personally, I would avoid using PCI or any other PC card format, they are becoming obsolete rapidly. If you stick to USB (or serial via USB) it will give it some universal utility.

The DSPIC's don't have USB hardware but you could simply use a serial - USB converter chip (or module, or adapter) .

The PIC's firmware would be very simple - it just has to read the on-board quadrature counter registers and format the result out onto the serial port. The output to the PC should be in a software friendly form - e.g. if you intend to use a spreadsheet to display the data on the PC then choose a numeric string.

Bill
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillTodd View Post
    Which scales do you have (or intend to buy)? - the document describes three types PPL TTL and HTL which have different power and output voltages.

If the cable run is short <2m then you could probably use the 5v ones and only one leg of the TTL differential output (saving the need for a 422 receiver) . You could feed this straight into one of a DSPIC's quadrature inputs. (see: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/70063D.pdf) - The DSPIC 33 series have two encoders on-chip - The dsPIC33FJ32 is only about $3 in quantity (and Microchip will supply free samples!)

Personally, I would avoid using PCI or any other PC card format, they are becoming obsolete rapidly. If you stick to USB (or serial via USB) it will give it some universal utility.

The DSPIC's don't have USB hardware but you could simply use a serial - USB converter chip (or module, or adapter) .

The PIC's firmware would be very simple - it just has to read the on-board quadrature counter registers and format the result out onto the serial port. The output to the PC should be in a software friendly form - e.g. if you intend to use a spreadsheet to display the data on the PC then choose a numeric string.

Bill
    @Bill,
    Thanks for reply. My scales gives 5V TTL output. and just to confirm and make my grounds clear which will take shorter time calculate the position one USB decoder or the PCI decoder. as i have stated in my last post i cant afford loosing too many pulses.

It is still not clear in my mind what you are trying to do; Are you trying to capture positional data on the move (for a servo system, for instance) or are you digitising (locating the position of some point, stopping, then reading the position into a PC)???

which will take shorter time calculate the position one USB decoder or the PCI decoder. as i have stated in my last post i cant afford loosing too many pulses.
    The PIC's hardware will ensure that the position counter will not lose any pulses (unless the scale is moved far too fast) However, there will be a small delay between reading the position register and getting that position (number) into the PC. If the scale is moving when the position capture process is triggered then there will be a small position error (because the scale will have moved a little by the time the PC has the data).

It is possible to minimise the errors by calculating the delay and allowing for the velocity of the scale (i.e. you add, or subtract, a correction to the position count).
    Bill

humm..... thanks bill, i have not considered your delay correction method.

and yes what i want to do is read or capture the current position at the axis move and control the axis movement as per the read out. Say if i started the axis in forward from home and i have to stop (set) the same at 500 mm with slowing down the axis movement at 400 mm onwards.
    now in my software / program i will put the input for final position. after starting from the home scale should report its position (absolute / relative no issue) to the pc. so that pc can cross verify the scale's position with what i have set in my program. and triggers the motor accordingly. now here i can not use any kind of hardware limit switch to slow down or to end the movement as both of them are completely programmable between 0 to 900 mm.
    More even my Z axis is hydraulically driven and needs precise operation. as the movement will control the bend angle.

i require the following logic.
    X Axis Run => Read position => check with input => if ok then stop + if not ok then again read but do not stop

all at speed 10mm / sec.

Sounds like you could do what you want with a classic PID (Proportional , Integral, Derivative) controller, programmed into the PIC or PC.

Your 10mm/s is only 10,000 pulses per second even at 1 micron resolution.

Bill
    Bill

@bill
    what about DRO_Plus Project - by Tom Kulaga ?

in addition to that we can use W83629D and W83628AG to convert PCI to ISA so that we can use the card with the now days pc
    Attached Files Attached Files

You seem to be confusing two different things:

1 - displaying the position - for example a DRO
    Here the axis is moved (usually manually), the DRO counts the pulses from the scale and a display in a suitable unit (mm or inch) is displayed to the user.

2 - controlling the position - using a Servo for instance
    Here an arbitrary number (machine steps) is sent to a servo controller (usually converted from Inches or millimetres). The servo controller drives a motor back and forth until the position of the axis (counted from the scale)matches the desired number.

It does not matter to the servo system if it counts the pulses from a rotary encoder on the motor or from a linear scale. However, it is important for the stability of the system, that the coupling between the drive (motor) and the feedback (e.g. the counter) is as 'stiff' and free from backlash (or time delays) as possible. The longer it takes for the positional feedback to arrive at the controller, harder it is to maintain stability.

ATM I am still guessing that you are trying to use a linear scale as feedback for a positioning system

Bill
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12