585,728 active members*
4,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > remachining of old Mold Block

remachining of old Mold Block

I am new to Gibbs and the forging industry. I am currently using Gibbs to post programs to resink (remachine) mold blocks. I face off the old mold blocks about .100 to .250.
    My question is. Does anyone know how to fix Gibbs so that i'm not cutting air?
    The mold block that i face off is getting the same impression as it had before. I just dont want to be cutting air till it getts to the part of the old impression thats left, then machines down that .100 or .250 to get to final depth.

Quote Originally Posted by masks35 View Post
    I am new to Gibbs and the forging industry. I am currently using Gibbs to post programs to resink (remachine) mold blocks. I face off the old mold blocks about .100 to .250.
    My question is. Does anyone know how to fix Gibbs so that i'm not cutting air?
    The mold block that i face off is getting the same impression as it had before. I just dont want to be cutting air till it getts to the part of the old impression thats left, then machines down that .100 or .250 to get to final depth.
    I think you will need to re-define your rough stock. Try making a copy of the finished part. Then get rid of the original stock by deleting it or changing its properties to "part". Take your copy of the finished part and change it to "stock". Then move it plus (+) in the "Z" axis the amount stock you want to remove. Hopefully that will show Gibbs what is air and what is stock to be removed.

Species: so you can select a surface in a mold and tell gibbs whats air and whats stock? i know you could do that with geometry. didn't know you could do that with surfaces.
    am i on the right track in my thinking?

Species: so you can select a surface in a mold and tell gibbs whats air and whats stock? i know you could do that with geometry. didn't know you could do that with surfaces.
    am i on the right track in my thinking?

Not sure what you got going. In general Gibbs compares a "Stock" solid to a "Part" solid and should only remove stock. It sounds like you are using the old stock body to re-machine the block. So Gibbs thinks you are starting a new part where all the stock is still there.

Do you have two solids? One that is the finished part and one that is the raw stock. If not you need to make a solid that is represents the part with stock to be removed.

It would be a good idea to post a picture of your part in Gibbs to give us a better idea of what you are trying to do.

Specsies: I found what your talking about. I right clicked on the model and see where i can call it stock, fixture or part. I have one model that is the finished part. I can manipulate it to make it represent the stock part. Could you walk me through this? I guess my confusion is if i call my finished part (stock) how can i apply my tool paths to that to give me my finished part? Maybe i am making this more complicated than it really is. LOL

Specsies: I found what your talking about. I right clicked on the model and see where i can call it stock, fixture or part. I have one model that is the finished part. I can manipulate it to make it represent the stock part. Could you walk me through this? I guess my confusion is if i call my finished part (stock) how can i apply my tool paths to that to give me my finished part? Maybe i am making this more complicated than it really is. LOL
    Select the finished part solid then go to Edit>Click Copy then Edit>Paste. Now you have two solids. Double click one of the solids to place it in the body bag. Right click the remaining solid and change its properties to stock. Now you have two solids one "Part" and one "Stock". Now you will need to move the "Stock" part up in "Z" to the amount of material you want to remove to re-machine from your old part.

Specsies: I have one in the body bag as part and have the other on the screen as stock. I have moved my stock model up in Z to the amount that was faced off. Question? Now i will be able to apply tool paths to my part model and it will reconginize whats air and whats stock and not be cutting so much air?

Specsies: I have one in the body bag as part and have the other on the screen as stock. I have moved my stock model up in Z to the amount that was faced off. Question? Now i will be able to apply tool paths to my part model and it will reconginize whats air and whats stock and not be cutting so much air?
    Select the surfaces to be machined on the "part" solid. Gibbs should see that the surfaces to be cut are under/inside the stock. To be honest I don't own the 3d machining option so I can't play with it to figure it out for you. I'm hoping someone that does will chime in. Hint Hint

Talking

Specsies: I think i was able to figure it out with what help you gave.
    Thank you very much. it seems simple now. lol
    Thanks again!

Species8472, do you have to use coolant when machining 6061 in fluidic space?

Quote Originally Posted by double a-ron View Post
    Species8472, do you have to use coolant when machining 6061 in fluidic space?
    We don't remove material anymore. We build it up one atom at a time. With a tolerance of ±1 atom.