584,862 active members*
4,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What CNC Book can you recommend?

I have been toying with CNC for well over a year now, but most of my endeavors have been by using CAM software which basically generates all the G Code I need to do the part in question. I did learn a little bit of basic G Codes such as G0 and G1 to do some manual stuff, but most of my operations have been with the computer controls or the controller interpreting the CAM generated G Code.

I think I have come to the point where I want to actually learn all this G Code. My final intention is to code my own G Code interpreter on a conventional microcontroller as I want to build other CNC machines myself. Instead of using MACH3, EMC or a canned G Code controller, I want to do my own G Code interpreter by coding a microcontroller in C. I have been doing motion control development for the past few 12 years, so all I need is a little bit of a reference to make sure I code the G Codes correctly.

I went to Amazon and saw a bunch of books on the G Code subject, but it seems the show me how to use the available g Codes to manually program the cutting of a resulting piece. Although all of this is good information, I am also interested in a book that can steer me into what would it take to understand the algorithms being executed as any given G Code is interpreted. Is there such a book or resource out there?

Thanks for any pointer you may provide!

CNC programming Handbook by peter Smid is one of the bibles.
    Also there is a free simulator CNCsimulator.com.
    http://www.cncsimulator.com/
    For mathematical algorithms etc there is Computer Numerical Control Programming by Michael Sava and Joseph Pusztai.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The CNCSimulator is a great program. I've been using it for years.
    But it's a little annoying that it expires for no reason and has to have the 'petrol tank' filled up again. It's total B.S. Most of the time the petrol thing doesn't even work. If you look on their forum there are hundreds of people saying the same thing. If you can't fill up the tank it won't work at all and can't even be re-installed from scratch because they check things and don't allow it to run once the petrol has run out.

If anyone is interested I figured out how to keep it going without doing the petrol B.S.

I can post the info here if anyone is interested......

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    If anyone is interested I figured out how to keep it going without doing the petrol B.S.

I can post the info here if anyone is interested......
    That would be handy!!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

While it may not be exactly what you asked for, since EMC/LinuxCNC is open source, you might find that studying the source code will illuminate the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    That would be handy!!
    Al.
    hehe! I thought there would be interest.
    It's a huge pain when it's running on a machine that doesn't have internet access like an old laptop off-site at another location.

If you delete the entire directory and re-install it still won't run.
    Basically they leave some hidden stuff in the registry.
    When it's uninstalled that stuff is still there. Even if the registry info is deleted it still won't run because when the petrol runs out they stealthily dirty some of the files so it won't run without a new petrol file regardless.
    I couldn't be bothered to figure out what files exactly are modified since a delete and re-install via batch file takes just a few seconds.

See attached .bat and .reg (zipped)
    Run the .bat it will delete the files then run the .reg and kill the registry stuff. If you put cncsetup453.exe in the same dir it'll re-install it for you. The tool files remain untouched.

.bat file contents....
    del "C:\Program Files\CncSimulator\*.*" /q
    cnc_uninstall.reg
    cncsetup453.exe

.reg file contents....
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ChMts]
    "msCheck"=dword:00000002

The minus before HKEY removes the entry. You can double-click the .reg to remove it manually.

Note that once this gets out they will probably change it and release a new version (typical cat and mouse game software companies play with hackers) so get the current version 4.53f now and keep it handy
    The file is cncsetup453.exe , 3.92 MB (4,114,451 bytes)

Looks like they are working on a pro version now. Something I look forward to cracking in the future. Or maybe they will come to their senses and realize that CNC machines don't run on petrol. Hmmmm.

Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fordav11,
    What could be the reason of this error:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails error.JPG  

It could be caused by many things. What program/version?

CncSimulator Pro Ver: 1.0.6.4 Beta

The downloaded setup file has the name: CncSimProSetup1064

Is it possible for you to send me the setup file which works.

you need the old version. The version is 4.53F.
    In my (old) post I did warn people about getting the old version before they changed it.....

You can find the old version with google. Or if you still need it send me a PM and I'll reply with a private download link.

PM sent.
    Thanks for your kind offer of help.

Downloaded.
    It works though I have to learn its use.
    Is it time-stamped or would work for ever?

Thanks a lot, fordav.

It does not accept macros.
    Or, am I doing something wrong?

Does not use G-code system A.
    How to change this?

the program is far from perfect. it's good to test any common g-code. no macro, standard G/M codes only. read the help file and/or look at videos on youtube for info. the program is fairly simple but you still need to learn how to use it. one key thing is you must set up the tool file to match your tools or the cutting uses the wrong tool shape. it's like any type of conversational program, you must have the tooling data pre-set. or use the existing tool file and change the program to use the T numbers for tools that match your actual tool with existing tools in the tool file. don't bother posting a question on the cncsimulator forum they are no help and know less than you. it works forever without having to fill the 'petrol tank' as long as you use my batch files to reset the time stamp in the registry.

Nothing worthwhile is free in this world!
    At least it could have used the usual G-code system A.

if you need to simulate macro try Swansoft CNC Simulator. I think there's a trial version available. I believe NCPlot can also 'plot' macros but I have not tried it. Trial version is also available.

Re: What CNC Book can you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    While it may not be exactly what you asked for, since EMC/LinuxCNC is open source, you might find that studying the source code will illuminate the subject.
    hi, same problem with the last release: cncsimulator pro 3.0, can you help in this case?

Re: What CNC Book can you recommend?

you do not have similar tips for the latest version of cncsimulator: CNCSimulator Pro Version 3.1.0.0?

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    hehe! I thought there would be interest.
    It's a huge pain when it's running on a machine that doesn't have internet access like an old laptop off-site at another location.

If you delete the entire directory and re-install it still won't run.
    Basically they leave some hidden stuff in the registry.
    When it's uninstalled that stuff is still there. Even if the registry info is deleted it still won't run because when the petrol runs out they stealthily dirty some of the files so it won't run without a new petrol file regardless.
    I couldn't be bothered to figure out what files exactly are modified since a delete and re-install via batch file takes just a few seconds.

See attached .bat and .reg (zipped)
    Run the .bat it will delete the files then run the .reg and kill the registry stuff. If you put cncsetup453.exe in the same dir it'll re-install it for you. The tool files remain untouched.

.bat file contents....
    del "C:\Program Files\CncSimulator\*.*" /q
    cnc_uninstall.reg
    cncsetup453.exe

.reg file contents....
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ChMts]
    "msCheck"=dword:00000002

The minus before HKEY removes the entry. You can double-click the .reg to remove it manually.

Note that once this gets out they will probably change it and release a new version (typical cat and mouse game software companies play with hackers) so get the current version 4.53f now and keep it handy
    The file is cncsetup453.exe , 3.92 MB (4,114,451 bytes)

Looks like they are working on a pro version now. Something I look forward to cracking in the future. Or maybe they will come to their senses and realize that CNC machines don't run on petrol. Hmmmm.

Enjoy