585,581 active members*
3,775 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Where's the cheapest place to buy a milling attachment for a mini-lathe?

Where's the cheapest place to buy a milling attachment for a mini-lathe?

Well I need to mill a few slots in a few pieces of plastic, so I tried it on a drill press with a cross-slide vise...to no avail. The chuck came loose every time, ruining several parts.

I'm not ready to buy a milling machine yet, so I'm thinking about a lathe attachment. The only thing is, they seem way over-priced for what you get.

Micromark wants $200 and LMS is asking $190; and I just can't see spending that kind of money for such limited functionality and small size.

I'm wondering, is there anyone selling these things at a more reasonable price?

Take the crosslide vise off the Y slide. Switch the X screw so that the handle is where the vise handle is. Fab yourself a good sturdy L bracket(angle plate) to mount the crosslide vise to. Remove the lathe compound. Mount the angle plate on the lathe crosslide. You may need a center hole for the compound post and 2 lock down holes for the compound studs.

You will have to shorten one of the crank handles because they get in the way of each other.

Make the angle bracket as right angle as possible. No big deal if its off. Some shims between the angle plate and vise crosslide will even it out.
    Once you get the hang of setting it up, you will be able to mill within a few thou.

I used a piece 3/8" steel angle for the vise holder. About 6"H and 6"W for a 10x36" lathe. W/ supports welded .

The stiffer it is the less chatter. Rudimentary, but it got me by until the mill.
    If you cant weld, use aluminum plate 1/4-1/2" thick and bolt it together.

Thanks for the idea, but having been thinking about it for a few days, I'm now leaning toward breaking down and buying a mini mill...if I can figure out which one.

Well I need to mill a few slots in a few pieces of plastic, so I tried it on a drill press with a cross-slide vise
    Done this with my drill press on aluminium slots 10mm plate,didn't have issues except I had to remember the cutters path.

Did you use a milling straight 2 or 3 flute cutter? correct speed is also important