585,977 active members*
4,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linistepper v2 problem

Hello all. I have problem my stepper goes one direction when LPT cable not in PC. If i put cable to PC stepper stop roatating. Why? What to do? Thanks.

First, I don't see how that is a Linistepper v2 problem... it sounds like the driver is running the motor just great.

If you are using the old, old, old version of the 4 axis board, with the pulse circuit attached, then that is exactly caused by the intended operation of the pulse circuit. It is diving the x step pin with a resistor, so the parallel port will overcome the pulse signal when it is plugged in. Remove the resistor R9 and the pulses won't get to the x-step line and it won't rotate when not plugged in.

Or did you mean that it will not move at all (even when commanded by the PC) when the LPT cable is plugged in? In that case, the port setup or wiring is probably the problem.

MUCH more detail required for accurate answer.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    First, I don't see how that is a Linistepper v2 problem... it sounds like the driver is running the motor just great.

If you are using the old, old, old version of the 4 axis board, with the pulse circuit attached, then that is exactly caused by the intended operation of the pulse circuit. It is diving the x step pin with a resistor, so the parallel port will overcome the pulse signal when it is plugged in. Remove the resistor R9 and the pulses won't get to the x-step line and it won't rotate when not plugged in.

Or did you mean that it will not move at all (even when commanded by the PC) when the LPT cable is plugged in? In that case, the port setup or wiring is probably the problem.

MUCH more detail required for accurate answer.
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't used breakout board. STEP and DIR wires I connected directly to LPT port. When I plug LPT cable I can control stepper motor. Your post help me understand what is going on.

RN1, the 3k3 network resistor should be pulling the step line low when the LPT cable is not connected. Check solder connections or remove the PIC and check for 3.3K Ohms between the step pin and ground.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

RN1, the 3k3 network resistor should be pulling the step line low when the LPT cable is not connected. Check solder connections or remove the PIC and check for 3.3K Ohms between the step pin and ground.
    I used posix layout.

Quote Originally Posted by DjD View Post
    I used posix layout.
    Ok, so you are NOT using a Linistepper V2 then... you are using a Posix Linistepper which isn't a board layout we sell in the kit. Our version has the pull down resistors which prevent this problem. If you are using the Posix, you need to keep the cable connected or you need to add a pull down resistor of 3.3k ohm between the step line and the ground.

Ok, so you are NOT using a Linistepper V2 then... you are using a Posix Linistepper which isn't a board layout we sell in the kit. Our version has the pull down resistors which prevent this problem. If you are using the Posix, you need to keep the cable connected or you need to add a pull down resistor of 3.3k ohm between the step line and the ground.
    Sorry I'am write to late. Thanks for your reply, now I fixed this problem and I discover another: I power on linistepper, it is idle and two transistors getting very hot. Why it is hot when I do nothing?

Sorry I'am write to late. Thanks for your reply, now I fixed this problem and I discover another: I power on linistepper, it is idle and two transistors getting very hot. Why it is hot when I do nothing?
    This would be normal for any stepper driver. At any given point, two of the 4 transistors would be on, depending on which step you have stopped at. On the real linistepper, there is a low power hold line that can be engaged to reduce power when holding. I don't know if that was included on the Posix design.

This would be normal for any stepper driver. At any given point, two of the 4 transistors would be on, depending on which step you have stopped at. On the real linistepper, there is a low power hold line that can be engaged to reduce power when holding. I don't know if that was included on the Posix design.
    How to make a low power hold line in posix designed board? Also, what settings use in TuboCNC?

How to make a low power hold line in posix designed board? Also, what settings use in TuboCNC?
    I guess you would want to ask posix and the support forum at TurboCNC.

I guess you would want to ask posix and the support forum at TurboCNC.
    Okay I ask. Thanks.

Hi James. On posix layout with linistepper v2 firmware I found "enable" pin. Where should I connect it on BOB? How to configure Mach3 to work "enable"? Thanks.

Hi James. On posix layout with linistepper v2 firmware I found "enable" pin. Where should I connect it on BOB? How to configure Mach3 to work "enable"? Thanks.
    Hi. First, you probably don't need to connect that to the PC unless you need to reduce drive power while holding between jobs. It just needs to be set for full power by connecting to ground or +5. See this page for the correct setting: techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/lini_use.htm

If you do need it, it just needs to make it to an output pin on the PC parallel port. I'm not sure which BOB you are using, so I can't tell you exactly how to do that on your BOB. Then Mach 3 needs to be set to bring that pin to the correct level when running a job, and back when it's not. Check the Mach 3 documentation for information on how to do that.

Cool Re: Linistepper v2 problem

hello i don't know what is the problems to thisv2 linistepper i'm doing ,perfectly running every press on my keyboard direction jog button but for starting to play the entire gcode ,my circle is really in a right shape for 0.1 deep z axis then going down to 0.2 deep another circle,now the circle is not on correct position a bit exceeded and destroying the first circle. there's any relation to 3.3 resistor why i encounter mis position

Quote Originally Posted by levon18lopez View Post
    hello i don't know what is the problems to thisv2 linistepper i'm doing ,perfectly running every press on my keyboard direction jog button but for starting to play the entire gcode ,my circle is really in a right shape for 0.1 deep z axis then going down to 0.2 deep another circle,now the circle is not on correct position a bit exceeded and destroying the first circle. there's any relation to 3.3 resistor why i encounter mis position
    Sounds like missed steps because of cutting too much in each pass? Try going down by 0.05

Re: Linistepper v2 problem

I have also just like that ,spindle trigger it self and x axis going to left ....when power supply is switch on.

vcarve calculated the right for me even far down,, but why it missed .......... llini stepper is direct to my computer .... no buffer ,, i used pmnimo 4 axis beakoutboad

Can be possible to convert linistepper into any bipolar stepper drive just like l298 can i connect. recently i tried to connect the l298 drive to linistepper motor input, i'd jog it but only vibrate a bit.then my wet finger touch the l298 input that center ,i'd jog left and right, now it's working.... big problem is putting your wet finger under the pcb ....i thought that missed step can be avoid with high torque bipolar drive but same resolution just like linnistepper