585,894 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Red face Spindle speed slows down

Today my PCNC1100 started to slow down and speed up maybe 300 to 500 rpms. So I thought I would check the VDR and it showed 56.5. I then check the manual and it said it should be at 137.0 at 500rpms. So I went to the Cal. info. in the manual. Did that and now NO spindle speed. I can manually start and stop the spindle. What did I do wrong?. Now went I try to do it I get a message that says Magic number invalid.

Thanks

Carl Boe.

PS. I'm a machinist not a computer guy so please be kind.

Mine has done that, a reboot straightens it out.

I was told there was a couple reasons neither of which were the cause of my problem. One was double clicking on “start program” button, and the other was using “start from here” wrong.

Is this a series 3 machine?

No it is a series 2. What do you mean reboot? install every thing again?

Carl Boe.

No just turn the computer off for a min and start it again. It may or may not help but it's easy enough.

I did that a time or two all ready. What about the invalid magic number?

Carl

You are not doing what is written:

Set the speed to 500rpm with the belt on the low range. VFD should read 35 Hz. Record what the number actually is and enter it in correct box on the "Speed Calibration" page as per the instructions.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by carlboe View Post
    Today my PCNC1100 started to slow down and speed up maybe 300 to 500 rpms. So I thought I would check the VDR and it showed 56.5. I then check the manual and it said it should be at 137.0 at 500rpms. So I went to the Cal. info. in the manual. Did that and now NO spindle speed. I can manually start and stop the spindle. What did I do wrong?. Now went I try to do it I get a message that says Magic number invalid.

Thanks

Carl Boe.

PS. I'm a machinist not a computer guy so please be kind.

Phil

That was what I was doing when the problem started. Tried it again today same thing. I set the rpms at 500 VFR said 56.5. So I followed the 9.10 in the Manual enter PCNC config and selected the open profile selected the profile and entered 56.5 hit save and done. Opened control software and started the spindle and no speed.

Carl

How are you measuring the 500 rpm for the spindle speed.

56.5 Hz sounds high for 500 rpm with the belt on the low range.

Phil

Phil

I typed the speed in on the S DRO tech. says 523 rpms.
    Thanks

Carl Boe.

Phil

The belt is in the low range

Carl Boe

Quote Originally Posted by carlboe View Post
    Phil

The belt is in the low range

Carl Boe
    Make sure you changed the active pulley in Mach3. I have forgotten that, and I get that 56MHz number.

BTW, it does not matter if you physically move the belt or not. What matters is the VFD reading when in mach you make low range the active pulley and issue an M3 S500. Should be ~35-37 MHz.

dbrija

The spindle will not start I have to start it manually. You are right about the belt placement. I can run a program but I have to start the spindle manually. Before I hit cycle start.

Thanks

Carl Boe.

Problem sloved

I would like to take the time to thank everyone who tried to help me. Problem solved. I had to down load a software up date and that solved the problem.

Thanks again

Carl boe

Spindle problem

Please post the details (what did you download, from where, what was patched) so that the thread is complete with the answer. The only thing better than a solved problem is a documented, published solution for the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Please post the details (what did you download, from where, what was patched) so that the thread is complete with the answer. The only thing better than a solved problem is a documented, published solution for the next guy.
    OK I did call Tormach and talked to a support tech. and explained the problem and he told me to check some thing. He would ask around and call me back. I thought ok I will not hear back. Well a hour later he called back. And said to go to the tromach site and down load this upgrade and try that. It was a spindle grade for the drivers I think. Now when I set the spindle speed at 500 rpms the VDR says 37.6 and with the tech. it is 514rpms and the X,Y and Z axes seams the be smoother.

Carl Boe

Funny my series II acted up a little tonight. At the bottom on my computer screen next to the clear button, a message popped up saying something spinde.mis file something something. I wasn't fast enough to take a picture but a simple reboot did the trick. Weird ....

I think somehow I hit the change belt Hi/Low button in Mach or may have been the manual/auto button on the panel accidentally while placing my probe back up on the hanger. Best part was this little hiccup happened on a part that takes awhile to make, lucky I was able to hit esc before a nightmare.

Great post btw, thanks for the heads up on rebooting ! Can you provide a link to what file you downloaded ?