585,956 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Auto align B-axis (rotary axis) using probe

On a fanuc-based CNC horizontal machining center, I have a job where I need to tram each part straight in the B-axis (to get part perpendicular to spindle c/l, or parallel to spindle face). I have a probe for this machine and I'm sure it is possible to probe the face and have the machine automatically align the work-piece the way I want it, I just don't know how to go about doing something like this...does anyone have a generic program I could start with?

Thanks for any help...

- Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pwilson101 View Post
    On a fanuc-based CNC horizontal machining center, I have a job where I need to tram each part straight in the B-axis (to get part perpendicular to spindle c/l, or parallel to spindle face). I have a probe for this machine and I'm sure it is possible to probe the face and have the machine automatically align the work-piece the way I want it, I just don't know how to go about doing something like this...does anyone have a generic program I could start with?

Thanks for any help...

- Paul
    Hi Paul,
    Is this a different machine to the K & T from your other Post, as its my understanding that the K & T use their own control; right?

The code example you gave shows either a different format than that of a Fanuc User Macro, or you have not given enough information regarding the program snippet you listed. For example, the G26 is either a K & P proprietary "G" code, or it could be a User Created Custom "G" code used to call a Custom Macro program. Accordingly, if this is relating to the K & T, and you have a programming manual that relates to the K & T User Macro, you need to supply a list of the System variables and more information regarding the User Macro programming for this machine to get much help. However, irrespective of the Marco language format, the principle for what you want to achieve will be the same for all systems.

Fanuc System variables are used in the following explanation.
    1. On the face you want the alignment to be made, touch the probe at an extreme X position and record the current machine coordinate for X, obtained from System variable #5021
    2. Record the Z Skip Signal coordinate for Z, obtained from System variable #5063. The two values obtained from #5021 and #5063 can be saved to Local variables, for example #1 and #2 respectively.
    3. Touch the probe at the opposite extreme X and repeat points 1 and 2 above, saving the coordinates in different Local variables, for example #3 and #4 respectively.
    4. By subtracting the two sets of corresponding Local variables, two sides of a right triangle are obtained. That is subtract #1 from #3 to obtain the X value, and #2 from #4 to obtain the Z value. See the attached picture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B_Axis_Align1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	152021

5. The angle to adjust the B axis Work Shift by is then obtained from the following Macro calculation.
    #5=ATAN[#4 - #2]/[#3 - #1]

A further calculation using #5, and the Sysetm variable for the current "B" axis machine position is made, with the result being applied via the System variable for the "B" axis Work Shift being used. Or alternatively, #5 could be applied incrementally to the existing "B" axis Work Shift being used.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, Bill!

Yes K & T uses their own control and Advanced Programming Language (KT - APL) for their parametric programming instead of Custom Macro B. I was hoping to come across someone familiar with APL, I wouldn't know where to start if I had to list the system parameters and info on their user macro programming.

The G26 is a surface detection code and I believe the line of code in such a way as I've described it has the formula built into it to align the B-axis. But I also need this for the macro B programs and with the information you provided, I should be able to come up with something, so thank you for that!

I will let you know what I come up with...

- Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pwilson101 View Post
    Thanks, Bill!

Yes K & T uses their own control and Advanced Programming Language (KT - APL) for their parametric programming instead of Custom Macro B. I was hoping to come across someone familiar with APL, I wouldn't know where to start if I had to list the system parameters and info on their user macro programming.

The G26 is a surface detection code and I believe the line of code in such a way as I've described it has the formula built into it to align the B-axis. But I also need this for the macro B programs and with the information you provided, I should be able to come up with something, so thank you for that!

I will let you know what I come up with...

- Paul
    Hi Paul,
    If the KT - APL system is based on a parametric programming language, its likely that the G26 calls a parametric program in the same way Fanuc allow the creation of Custom "G" codes to call Macro programs. For example, entering 26 in parameter #6050 of a late Series Fanuc control will call Macro program O9010 when G26 is commanded. Your example code in the other Post makes me think this may be the case with the K&T, because the Fanuc system would pass the X, Z, B and E arguments in a similar way. If what I have stated is true, and you're able to find the Parametric Program that's associated with the "B" axis align, then you should be able to work out how the routine works by examining the code. Alternatively, if you can find, or obtain information on the System variables used with the K&T, and what is used for the Skip Function, then you could write your own axis alignment routine.

Regards,

Bill