585,931 active members*
3,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma torch: machine head vs hand-held

I'm building a 4x8 plasma water table system and am close to making my Hypertherm 45 purchase. I've never even seen a machine head torch, but am considering buying one. I think 70 - 80% of my cutting will be on the table and want to be sure that I get the best table performance as possible.

Will a Hypertherm hand torch work as well as a machine torch?? I'll save $300 or so if I go hand torch.

Will a hand torch burn through consumables more quickly?

I'm using Shop Droid Ultimate X geared, Y geared, Z floating torch with THC and the Candcnc 620 oz motor system.

So- hand torch or machine torch... ?? Thanks for your opinions.

Hand torch or machine torch?

Depending on all of your cutting needs the hand torch will work great if you need to do cutting off of the table or just cut up the skeletons from a full sheet. Yes it will take time to get adjusted with your holder to run dead nuts. Don't plan on installing it in a cable track system if you will be using it by hand. As time goes on, you can always add a machine torch to your arsenal later. Consumables should last identical on the table for either torch, burning by hand is considerably harder on consumables in my experience. Excellent choices made on your electronics package and gantry components. I have been running the Blade runner system with 620's on a 5 by 12 for over a year now and only problems I run into have been my own causes. In fact, I burnt out a drive recently, was amazed at how helpful Tom was getting it rushed out to get me up and running. (FAST) He even put out the offer to warranty the drive. I had to explain it was me wiggling wires, and that I should have not been messing with. A couple of days later, I stepped up and put in a order for the latest blade runner to start another build. Yes that happy with his products. Hypertherm is also an excellent choice, they are my main cutting solution. up to four units and I am only a one man shop....

The machine torch has the same internal components as the hand torches for the Hypertherm systems....so if you use a hand torch on a cnc machine....and put the machine torch consumables in it...it (in theory) will cut just like a machine torch.

That being said....machine torches are designed to mount easier to a cnc machine...it is easier to square to the plate, and the torch will generally last much longer as the blow back spatter from piercing will not damage the handle and switch that are present on hand torches.

More important, since hand torches are designed for hand cutting....they have a safety trigger switch mounted on the handle. To make the hand torch work on a machine you will have to break into the torch assembly and cut and splice wires...effectively bypassing the safety trigger circuit. Machine torches on the Powermax systems interface directly on the rear panel CPC interface connector....where you will find easy access to the plasma start, arc transfer and 50:1 divided arc voltage to interface your cnc machine and torch height control.....the start signal on this connector is inactive when the hand torch is mounted on the plasma for safety reasons.

I have two cnc machines in my shop....I recommend the machine torch. I actually have both machine and hand torches for my Powermax 85 and Powermax45....the hand torch plugs on for cutting up the skeleton of steel left on the table from machine cutting...also allows me to use the plasma anytime I want as a portable plasma...leaving the machine torch mounted on the machine.

Here are a couple of pics....one of my Torchmate with the Powermax45 machine torch, one of my PlasmaCam with the Powermax85 mini-torch with a SnapnCut magnetic torch mount Home Page

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
    I'm building a 4x8 plasma water table system and am close to making my Hypertherm 45 purchase. I've never even seen a machine head torch, but am considering buying one. I think 70 - 80% of my cutting will be on the table and want to be sure that I get the best table performance as possible.

Will a Hypertherm hand torch work as well as a machine torch?? I'll save $300 or so if I go hand torch.

Will a hand torch burn through consumables more quickly?

I'm using Shop Droid Ultimate X geared, Y geared, Z floating torch with THC and the Candcnc 620 oz motor system.

So- hand torch or machine torch... ?? Thanks for your opinions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new pics 013.jpg   new pics 016.jpg   IMG_2079.JPG