585,692 active members*
4,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Help me find a cheap but decent laser cutting machine please

Smile Help me find a cheap but decent laser cutting machine please

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and could really use your help.

I currently buy wooden shapes that are either plain or engraved eg.. Hearts or cupcakes with detail on them and then I paint them up, and now I'm looking into getting a machine to cut these shapes myself and hopefully start selling the shapes too but I can't and don't want to spend a fortune £2000 is just out of my league.

I saw a co2 USB laser (not sure what it is lol) and it was cheap about £400 but is it useless? And who on earth is a good company to buy from?

Please please help me, I'm in the uk if that helps

Hi Izzy07,

If you buy a laser for less than £1500 you could end up buying something that does not work very well or will have no support for!
    Have a look at HPCLaser - their forum is here if you want to ask any questions ;-)

Dave

PS Just a happy customer of theirs.

This will also help ;-)

Dave

Thanks for that, looked at their cheapest laser cutter and it's about £2500 not sure when/if I'd make that back!

The HPC 3020 is £1125 (+VAT) - it does depend what size sheets you want to cut (the 3020 does A4) and the thickness of the material up to 4mm Ply or MDF.

I think you should read up on how the cutters work as well - new owners often find out it is not as simple as pluging in a printer and the regret the purchase! ;-) ask/read here or the forums I mentioned above. :-)

Do you plan to create your own designs or create your own vectors to cut out? What CAD software are you using?

Best

Dave

Hiya Izzy,

As my late father used to tell me "Cheap, Fast, Accurate, pick any two"

Sadly a laser machine that costs £400 - £500 isn't going to be much use for practical or industrial work (ie: making stuff to sell), it's likely to be quite old (circa 2 years or more) possibly meaning you will likely be needing to buy some consumables for it shortly after purchase, these items can include Tubes (circa £200) lens (circa £100) Mirrors (circa £150 a set) so that cheap laser may not end up being a cheap option after all (as well as not actually doing what you want it to reliably)

Or put another way "by cheap,buy twice"

If something is a lot cheaper than you would expect there is always a good reason for that, usually this includes, 1:it's knackered...2: it's VERY knackered or 3: It's stolen

None of the above is going to be much use to you if you want to make stuff to sell.

My personal recommendation would be to speak to Chris or Simon at HPC and see what they have to say, on occasion they will have second user machines in stock (although not massively cheaper than new ones) what you would score with is buying a machine from one of the UK's most well known distributors who will be around to help when things go wrong.

I don't work for HPC but having purchased two machines from them and looking to use them again in the near future you can rest assured if their machines were crap I'd be telling people that

Just my two cents worth but I'd advise against buying something that cheap and expecting it to be any actual use.

best wishes

Dave (another one)

Advice definitely noted! Am hoping to design my own shapes but I haven't started that yet, I wanted to see if this was a feasible idea price wise before getting into it further.

You'll already think I'm an idiot for not looking at the price properly.....I'm not a total idiot....honest!
    £1125 plus vat sounds ok to me, definitely feasible so now I need to look into how to actually use it before I buy one. Do you have any good links on how to basically use one please?

Thanks so much for your help, I have had a quick look at your previous links and am about to sign up to the forum.

Izzy

Ask whatever questions you like Izzy the guys on both forums don't bite (do we Davo?)

best wishes

Dave

Another Dave!

Thank you both for all this help, I really appreciate it. I'm liking the look of the HPC 3020 and good customer service is always a big benefit.

Just need to find out if I'll be able to learn how to use one before I go and possibly waste my money.

Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Ask whatever questions you like Izzy the guys on both forums don't bite (do we Davo?)

best wishes

Dave
    Not with my teeth bud

Don't think you are an idiot Izzy - I nearly made the same mistake myself a couple of years ago! I would hate to think you could spend £400 on something that could be a pile of scrap

You will need plenty of space for the machine, water tank (25ltrs) and air assist. The 3020 runs off Newlydraw so you will need a Windows XP machine (or possibly Windows 7 32bit). It is quite heavy so you will need a sturdy desk to put it on.

Place it near a window so you can extract the smoke - a cold damp garage is not a good idea . Regarding design something like DraftSight is good and free. It is a steep learning curve but I had paid for my machine in the first year - you just need to stick at it.

Hope we havn't burst your bubble but a lot of adverts don't get down to the nitty grity.

Best

Dave

Ok well I'll have a look at finding out where to get an air assist from and a water tank, I have windows xp but if I needed windows 7 that's ok too.

We don't really use our conservatory so I was planning on putting it in there on a sturdy desk (am hoping it's sturdy enough)

May be a silly question but do you get good instructions with the machine? On basically how to start? I'll mess with DraftSight but then im guessing it's not a case of opening the box, plonking it on the desk, turning it on and transferring the files (that's after I've worked out what to do with the water tank and air assist!) oh and then there is where to buy the wood, B&Q should do for the start.

Thanks again and I'm glad you don't bite
    Izzy

The air assist is supplied - I use a storage container for the tank, de-ironised water can be obtained from a car spares shop in 25 ltr containers as well.

Depending how long you will be running the machine and in the summer in a conservatory an added cooler will be required to keep the water temp down.

The Newlydraw instructions are not too good but the forum is

B&Q material is not too good for lasers - the best material is laser quality Ply or MDF which will cut better and produce less staining/smoke. Hobarts, Hindleys or HPC all sell laser ply.

Best

Dave

Ahh you see I'm learning lots already....don't buy from B&Q lol, thank you I have bookmarked those sites now.

So when I get this machine can I post on the other forum and say help me set it up pretty please? And if i do will I get some help? Lol

In your opinion do you think it will take a while for me to get the hang of it or not? Be brutally honest please...I can take it (I think) :boxing:

I was just looking at replacement tubes on the site and the machine I'm looking at is 35w but the lowest tube they do is 40w would that still be ok?

Izzy

Plenty of 3020 users to help on the other forums only too pleased to help - if it wasn't for Dave (Exsecratio) I would have pulled all my hair out by now so I'm happy to pass on what little I have picked up

Tricky to say how quick you will pick it up - once the machine is up and running there is not a lot to it. Learning to use a CAD package may take a while but if the shapes you require are simple that should be ok. Maintaining the machine is simple enough if you are careful and don't take bits apart just to see how it works.

Newlydraw does not have much in the way of layer control which in some ways is handy but can be restrictive for more complex requirements.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy07 View Post
    I was just looking at replacement tubes on the site and the machine I'm looking at is 35w but the lowest tube they do is 40w would that still be ok?

Izzy
    What materials you thinking of cutting? the 3020 will do up to 4mm thick ply/mdf.

Dave

Was just looking at 3mm so that should be ok, Was just worried that there wasn't a replacement tube for it.

No worries with Tubes Izzy, Chris at HPC probably has the biggest stock of tubes in the UK for all power levels
    35 watts are common so I'm sure he will have plenty

May be a silly question but do you get good instructions with the machine
    Not a silly question at all....the instructions are dire....actually, no that's too kind..they are bloody useless but like Davo said, that's what the forums are for

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy07 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and could really use your help.

I currently buy wooden shapes that are either plain or engraved eg.. Hearts or cupcakes with detail on them and then I paint them up, and now I'm looking into getting a machine to cut these shapes myself and hopefully start selling the shapes too but I can't and don't want to spend a fortune £2000 is just out of my league.

I saw a co2 USB laser (not sure what it is lol) and it was cheap about £400 but is it useless? And who on earth is a good company to buy from?

Please please help me, I'm in the uk if that helps
    Hello sir,
    We are manufacture of laser machine in China---G.Weike is the biggest and most professional laser engraver manufacturer & exporter in North China. G.Weike is the first brand in laser line. The sales reach more than 2000 sets annual sales quantity at present. Our products are sold to more than 80 countris and areas. Our products all meet CE & FDA certificate.
    more details please visit laser engraving machine?laser cutting machine?cutting plotter at G.WeiKe
    Regards

Lucy Lee
    E-mail:[email protected]
    MSN:[email protected]