585,761 active members*
3,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Some questions for a new build

Hi guys, we are building a 4x4 CNC plasma table for a project at our college. (4000$ for all, plasma cutter, electronic, raw material, etc)
    you can see the 3d model below.

We will probably use linear guides from PBC Linear (still doesn't got their quote) LINK
    For the Y axis we plan to use Integral V Linear Guide LINK
    The driving system will use timing belt, something like Fiero Addiction Project
    I plan to buy the BladeRunner3-Combo 3Axis XYZ controller with motors (300 Oz-in hybrid steppers) and cables from candcnc

We will not have a DTHC module, we got some concept for a sliding device to control the height of the torch. (this table will always cut flat 1/4" material)

I got some questions :
    - Can I use 2 of the 3 motors to drive my X axis ?
    - What about the limit switch for both axis ? They are not included in the candcnc package I believe. Were can I get some and how do I connect them ?
    - Do we need to reduce the gear ratio for the driving system or we can set up our gear right on the driving shaft ? I assume that we need to calibrate the motor with the software ? (mach3) (One step of the motor = a travelling distance)
    - If I buy the BladeRunner3-Combo 3Axis XYZ controller with motors and cables what else do I need for the electronic part of the project ? A power supply for the motors ?

Thank you for your time, every comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure that i'll have some more questions soon :P

Marc-andré

My limit switchs came with my blade runner package, if not they are just micro switchs. As far as your other questions about moter tuning etc, Tom at candcnc will have all the info you need.
    I used his products when I built my tale about a year ago I could not be happier. Also I had zero experiance with cnc until I built my table.
    One thing I will add I would strongly suggest you go with dthc, because 1/4 will warp and if your slats get burned the materal wii not set level every time, trust me it is well worth the extra cosr, and then some
    Mike