585,942 active members*
3,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > Undercut Check not perform in g-code

Undercut Check not perform in g-code

Does the undercut check option is only for the toolpath simulation or it suppose to act in the g-code computation too?

Beacause it don't seem to work.

Almost forgot, I'm in turning feature.

It’s merely a warning that there is an undercut in your setup the choice to proceed is yours. Sometimes this is what you want or maybe it can’t be avoided. Let the software guide you but not control you.
    Gary

I saw in the post processing guide at page 45 that we can use this function <UNDERCUT-CHECK> in the post. Maybe it could be usefull to make an if function with it and make a math function to add value in the X-coords so it will avoid undercut as the software told us in simulation. Maybe it could be complex to do this math calculation but hey, everything is possible!!

Wiseco,

You’re right it is possible a clever guy could doubtless write code into the post to possibly deal with an undercut. I think it would have very little usefulness; an undercut should be known and understood before the code is loaded into the machine. If your controller is telling you that an undercut is detected and it is a surprise than there is an error in the code. If you have intended the undercut than no error has occurred.

Gary

Ok yeah, your right. I was thinking to do that because I don't have followed any course about G-code so for me to put some code, it's a bit tricky. By the way, Haas have a real good workbook in their web site to learn G-code, I have read and made all exercise in it but hey, nothing is better than practicing!

So as I understand, you all touch a bit the code that is been generated by the software, right?

Thanx Duluthboat!:cheers:

Wiseco

I usually have to go into the g-code and make a few changes myself. This is mainly because I do not have an exact post processor put together yet in FeatureCAM for TurboCNC. I found one of the many that is included in the post options that closest matches the output I need. From there its just a matter of editing it to make it all compatible with TCNC.

I think most people dipping their toes into CNC should sit down with a pencil and a part and write the code for some simple parts by hand. You get a much better understanding of whats happening and the flow of the code this way. Also when you go looking to edit code produced later that is long and more complex you will be able to read it more effectively.

In the 1st CNC class I took we had to do one part by hand, then we would do one on the PC, back and forth hand and PC the whole semester. Yeah it seemed to suck especially after you do a few on the PC but I now can see the value of it more than I could at the time.

If you really want to make it fun toss in some trig calculations for radius cuts and arcs on your part to hand code and calculate cutter compensation

Bowman