584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > open source Atmel/arduino PID motor control
Page 8 of 13 678910
    Thanks koogar.

I should have been more attentive. I was looking for a "pde" file extension since I could not read a rar file.

I have now downloaded a utility to unzip rar files and discovered the "missing" file.

Thanks again.

Opening this thread with a reminder not to mention specifically SuperPID or any reference to that product. Also that any new design innovations will not encroach on any defined proprietary information and shall follow existing open-source resources and only information already in the public domain be tolerated.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/openso...r_license.html

Very fair understood. Thank you Paul. Thank you cnczone

Interesting indeed.

I have an interest in a motor controller to replace a rheostat controller for an old sewing machine. Hence it needs to cover a range from zero to whatever the upper speed of the sewing motor is.

It is not clear whether a full PID is required and perhap we could also introduce fuzzy logic in our development - if required.

If our motor gets stuck due to too heavy a load, then a current sensing input may be useful to incorporate - to prevent motor overheating.

This thread may serve other generic PID type of control like heaters, laser galvanometers, and other closed-loop devices.

My participation may be slow since I have other projects and currently not enough parts to build a working prototype.

Thank You Paul for re-opening the thread... We will follow your guidelines and develop the opensource system with our own innovative modifications to the existing open source product available (in other forums or websites)as per our need....We assure you our firmware / hardware will have no resemblance with that Super product...

I am sorry to all of my friend at cncZone for my faults pointing to the third party product in this thread... Hope this will never happen again.. CNCAdmin/Moderator has right to delete my previous post or modify whatever necessary...

I am also thankful to Mr.Al for his support and efforts in re-opening of this thread...
    Regards
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure who is in charge of this thread since the o.p. has only kick-started this thread and others appear to run with it.
    Secondly, I don't want to hijack this thread but want to do some elementary experimentation that may not be of interest here. Hence I will persue my own project as I have time and interest, but will check here now and then to see what direction this thread takes.

Finally have time to try to mill a circuit board. Will post afterwards the results. I have collected all the prices and hope to have something working this week. Still reading on a way to not use a transformer.

Tim

Adds $14.00 but this should work?
    VSK-S2-5U CUI Inc | 102-2589-ND | DigiKey
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyb199 View Post
    Finally have time to try to mill a circuit board. Will post afterwards the results. I have collected all the prices and hope to have something working this week. Still reading on a way to not use a transformer.

Tim
    I managed to get my boards etched and populated this weekend also.

The open source Arduino shield compatible dev board is a Nanino

for the PCB millers there is a DXF file.
    For the Etch's i put a file together for toner transfer

The TLE4905G Hall Sensor seems a ***** to find at a reasonable price !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Adds $14.00 but this should work?
    VSK-S2-5U CUI Inc | 102-2589-ND | DigiKey
    Al.
    That is a switching power supply if there is any smoothing on the output the optocoupler will not pulse in time with the mains frequency.

Raw DC will still pulse at mains frequency till you use a smoothing capacitor in a linear power supply.

I am pretty new to optocouplers so I may have to be corrected :devious:

Is the transformer a big deal since we already have 110v/230v present ?

you could tap off the AC transformer through a diode and regulator to supply the rest of the circuit also . The diode will stop the Zero Crossing circuit getting smoothed out ?

Some of the PCB mount AC transformers are pretty small you could also use a dual output version to power the Zero Crossing on one side and the Circuit on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by koogar View Post

The TLE4905G Hall Sensor seems a ***** to find at a reasonable price !
    What is the attraction of this one, Digikey have a multitude of these types of hall sensors, cheap?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by koogar View Post
    I am pretty new to optocouplers so I may have to be corrected :devious:

Ah I misunderstood the function you are looking for, is this closer?
    http://www.fairchildsemi.com/an/AN/AN-3006.pdf
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    What is the attraction of this one, Digikey have a multitude of these types of hall sensors, cheap?
    Al.
    Digikey charge £15 to the UK :nono:

RS and Farnell (element14) don't stock it

I ordered an Allegro A1220EUA-T though i don't know if it will be compatible

There are many such products made by Allegro and Honeywell.
    Search Digikey with 'Hall effect' to get suitable part numbers.
    That appears to be a latch type.
    Al.

Albert E.

For a zero-crossing circuit, I'm going with the popular H11AA1.
    Here is one man'e use of it: Arduino Playground - ACPhaseControl
    No transformer required for this circuit.

This optocoupler has two photo diodes built in and thus works on each half of the AC cycle.

As some of you have noted there are too many circuits to select from that all do this function.

I have used zero cross over switch for burst firing heaters, but I have read it is not suitable for motor control where normally phase angle switching is used?
    But like I say, I have not personally tried it?
    Al.

Albert E.

Without knowing why we can only speculate. Is it noise from the motor?

There are many "Christmas Lights Display" people using phase control triac circuitry for dimming lights to music. Many use the H11AA1 optocoupler, hence my suggestion. However, it could be that lights don't generate as much noise as a motor.

I will try it before discarding the idea, although I don't have a H11AA1 at the moment. I'll be using two 4N36 (which I do have) to duplicate the function. The concept is the same.

The main reason I have seen is the response time for rapid changing torque of the motor, with heater loads there is a longer thermal time constant, which is easier to control the average effect?
    Phase control IS usually used for lighting, not zero crossing or burst due to flicker, and there is less EMI from a non-inductive load.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hoping not to create any confusion, motor speed control using a triac with phase control is definitely feasable.
    See application note AN2263 "Universal motor speed control and light dimmer
    with TRIAC and ST7LITE microcontroller" by STMicroelectronics.
    This note also explains the need to detect zero crossing of the AC line in order for the micro to know how much delay to add before triggering the triac.
    That zero crossing detect circuit portion is what I plan to do with a H11AA1 chip, plus some resistors - but no transformer.

I could be wrong but it appears you are confusing phase angle control with zero crossing?
    When zero crossing switching, the triac is on for the whole half cycle.
    Phase angle control is turning on after some period after the zero crossing point, the AN2263 is zero point detection for Phase Angle control, this is not zero cross over switching.
    If you switch at zero cross over, which is what the opto does in your selection, the triac is on for each whole half cycle.
    Due to the triac on for the whole cycle, then you have to burst switch for variable control.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 8 of 13 678910