585,763 active members*
4,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

z axis support nut advice

Can i get some ideas how to fix this problem or proceed. after a 20+ month build, this is looking to be the last thing needed doing to finally get cutting.

I am literally (i think) a problem a way from getting this machine finally working.

It has been a complete nightmare with problem after problem, before i do a final write up on the experience though and share with the forum i just want to get it working.

I have had problems with all the axis but now the z which was originally fine is now giving me problems.

The locking nut is basically not functioning as it should and this is to stop the screw from moving about(mainly in a upwards direction).. For this to happen it needs to be screwed in all the way up to the bearing on the support bracket and then locked with the grub screw.

So i am unable to screw it right up to the support bearing because when it is in that tight it is causing friction and stopping the screw/stepper/pully moment.

There in the video, i have raised the locking nut to nearest level close to the support bracket in where it can move freely.

my problem which can be seen at 26 seconds through the video link.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

When transposing upwards the whole Z will shoot up due to the fact that the locking nut is not in place to stop it from doing that.

Has anyone got any solution to this to counteract it or can any one tell me where this has gone wrong.. I have had to swap the original nut out as it got destroyed.

hope i'm making sense.
    Thanks james

Hmm I can't seem to see your video link here. Could you post a pic of the assembly?
    Is the lock nut interfering with the bearing somehow? Is it catching the outer ring of the support bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by rbs View Post
    Can i get some ideas how to fix this problem or proceed. after a 20+ month build, this is looking to be the last thing needed doing to finally get cutting.

I am literally (i think) a problem a way from getting this machine finally working.

It has been a complete nightmare with problem after problem, before i do a final write up on the experience though and share with the forum i just want to get it working.

I have had problems with all the axis but now the z which was originally fine is now giving me problems.

The locking nut is basically not functioning as it should and this is to stop the screw from moving about(mainly in a upwards direction).. For this to happen it needs to be screwed in all the way up to the bearing on the support bracket and then locked with the grub screw.

So i am unable to screw it right up to the support bearing because when it is in that tight it is causing friction and stopping the screw/stepper/pully moment.

There in the video, i have raised the locking nut to nearest level close to the support bracket in where it can move freely.

my problem which can be seen at 26 seconds through the video link.

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

When transposing upwards the whole Z will shoot up due to the fact that the locking nut is not in place to stop it from doing that.

Has anyone got any solution to this to counteract it or can any one tell me where this has gone wrong.. I have had to swap the original nut out as it got destroyed.

hope i'm making sense.
    Thanks james
    I had similar problems tho my mechanics are quite different...I used a piece of tubing between the bottom nut and the bearing so the nut wouldnt hit anything.

Just a thought.

John

Solved!!!!!!! thanks for time and your ideas.