584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Conversion NCStudio to Mach 3

OK Guys - Here we go!!!!
    I purchased a used XYZTech 1212 from a forum member. It came with NCStudio loaded onto a computer which turned out to be damaged in shipment and thus was not functioning.
    All of my other machines (benchtop mill, a 32X32 cnc router, Sherline engraving machine) use Mach 3 so my desire is to change this new machine to Mach just to prevent having to learn a new system. Oh yeah, I never had it working with the old configuration but really didn't try to hard after finding the dead computer.
    Thus the conversion process!!!!!!
    Step 1.
    Removed connection in the control panel which would have connected to the NCstudio card in the computer and replaced it with a 25 pin connector to the new BOB.
    Step 2.
    Installed a C11T breakout board from Cnc4PC
    Note. This was left over from a past installation and even though it is designed for Servo Amp Monitoring, Art sait it should work fine.
    Step 3.
    Installed a new power supply for 5V for the BOB, 5V for the CW250 Amps and 12V for the analog speed control.
    Step 4.
    Set all of the switches on the C11 to off (until I get things perculating).
    Step 5.
    Wired step and direction for each axis from the c11T to the CW250 setpper motor drivers (pins CW- and CP-). Also WIRED 5V FROM THE NEW POWER SUPPLY TO CW+ AND CP+ on the CW250.
    Wired AC to the 50V (high amperage) power supply for the steppers and the new power supply (5V and 12V). The AC in is 220V from the chinese txformer that accompanied the machine which is plugged into a 110V recpticle. (I'm going to wire it to the 220V in my shop when I get it going)!
    Step 6.
    Installed mach3 in a old dell computer with XP as the operating system. Connected the computer to the breakout board with the correct cable. Also I installed the .xls mach program from salecnc website. The pulses/unit (originally set for mm) was 320 (pulses per mm) so I changed that to 8128 (pulses per inch) and changed the base units to inches in mach setup.

Step 7.
    I placed the jumper on the BOB so that common is ground (as per the instruction manual). I also ran a ground from the 5V power suppy to one of the commons on the BOB. (now all output commons are ground (I'm not sure if this was correct)).
    And what do I get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING. The steppers lock up but will not move.

Is there a setting in mach that I'm missing?" Is there a change to LPT port in the computer I'm missing?

Has Anyone Done This Conversion Before????

Help guys. This is driving me nutz!!!

Best Wishes and have a nice day!!!!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

CW250 Stepper Amp

Hey Guys;
    This is the amps I'm using!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cw250 driver.jpg  
    billyjack

Output From BOB

This is an image of my output section from the C11T. The way I have it wired (for instance the X axis),
    From the CW250 terminal CP- to Channel 2 on C11T.
    From the CW250 terminal CW- to Channel 3 on the C11T.
    Also I have a ground from the 5V PS to common on the X channel and the jumper set on the C11T for "All Commons are Ground"???
    Any ideas guys???
    B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Output.jpg  
    billyjack

I guess all the experts were busy!!!!!

OK for those who may later need this information!
    Motors are spinning.
    I replaced the C11T card with a basic BOB and rewired the CW250's for common ground instead of common +. Even though the C11T was suppose to work, I think something with the gecko monitoring circuit (fault/enable) was somehow blocking the ttl out! The C11T goes back on the shelf and maybe some use will come of it at a later date. I hate wasting money this way though!
    I traced it to the BOB by applying signals to the CW250's step and direction and manually jogged them. Thus, the inputs!
    I changed the settings in Mach and motors are now spinning. As I originally thought, the conversion to mach is not difficult. Add a bob, power supply for the bob and your in business.
    Have a good day guys.
    Me
    :idea:
    billyjack

Re: Conversion NCStudio to Mach 3

Hey Bill,
    Were you able to convert from NCStudio to Mach3?
    I'm looking for way to convert mine...

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    OK for those who may later need this information!
    Motors are spinning.
    I replaced the C11T card with a basic BOB and rewired the CW250's for common ground instead of common +. Even though the C11T was suppose to work, I think something with the gecko monitoring circuit (fault/enable) was somehow blocking the ttl out! The C11T goes back on the shelf and maybe some use will come of it at a later date. I hate wasting money this way though!
    I traced it to the BOB by applying signals to the CW250's step and direction and manually jogged them. Thus, the inputs!
    I changed the settings in Mach and motors are now spinning. As I originally thought, the conversion to mach is not difficult. Add a bob, power supply for the bob and your in business.
    Have a good day guys.
    Me
    :idea:
    What do you you mean by bob ? Break out board ?????