585,754 active members*
4,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Keypad/touchscreen missing error

Unhappy Keypad/touchscreen missing error

I'm in desperate need of help for my Cincinatti Milacron 1000.
    About two weeks ago the CRT took a dump so we hooked up a monitor to it and used the touchscreen while looking at the monitor (till we can get an LCD upgrade). We would have loved to use the mouse but it didnt function correctly and kept bouncing around and selecting everything like if the left click button was stuck.
    This same mouse worked fine on our Cinci lathe with the same control.

Now our touchscreen is down!

KTI board?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

When you tried using the mouse, did you try plugging it directly into the ps/2 port on the CNC, or the port mounted by the op station (which is just using a long ps/2 extension cable to carry the signal).

I know a standard mouse cable won't be long enough to watch on the op station monitor, but if this works, you can pick up a ps/2 extension cable to use until your new op station arrives.

If you are buying the LCD upgrade from Siemens, it should come with the full op station assembly including the touch screen and KTI board, so I wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to get your current setup working if you are planning to purchase the upgrade anyway.

Yes we tried that. We plugged it in then did a restart.

We are actually talking to the guy from Canada that sells the LCD upgrades and I'm waiting on an answer with regards to the KIT card coming with it.

Siemens wants double what they want.

Thanks!

I know this isn't the issue you want help with, but the quickest way I can think of to get you running is using a mouse, so might be worth trying to troubleshoot the mouse issue first.

1) Were you using a ps/2 mouse or a USB mouse with an adapter? Try using a standard ps/2 mouse if you can find one.

2) Were you using a wireless mouse? Could be signal issues in the shop causing problems.

3) Are you sure the mouse is still in good working condition? You mentioned it worked fine with your lathe, but didn't indicate if that was recently.

4) Was it an optical mouse? Depending on the surface you are trying to use it on, an optical mouse can be problematic - this doesn't explain why it would always be selecting text though.

5) Is there a chance your touchscreen is interfering with the mouse signal? This could cause the mouse to malfuction because the control is trying to process both touchscreen and mouse functions together. I knew a customer who hit the touchscreen with his car keys and dented the screen. The control then saw this point as if it was constantly being pressed so he couldn't use the touchscreen or mouse.

Not sure what company you are talking to about the LCD, but most of the LCD kits I've seen are nothing more than an LCD screen you just install in place of the CRT. If this is what they are offering, you will have a nice clear picture, but your touchscreen/mouse still won't work.

I'm not saying I'd recommend buying the upgrade from Siemens without a little more troubleshooting, but if you are going to have to go to Siemens because the touchscreen doesn't work anyway it might end up being a cheaper alternative to buy the entire op station upgrade.

Thanks Mav! Mouse is running now without hopping around everywhere
    It was number 5 that did it.
    I can start making dominoes on the weekends again Dominoes by Ronnie Rosales - Dominoes
    Have a good one!
    Cheers!

Glad I was able to help get you running again.

Sounds like your machine is still not 100% fixed, but I've known a number of shops who chose to use a monitor and mouse for quite a while to avoid spending the money to replace the operator's station.

touchscreen disable?

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieR View Post
    Thanks Mav! Mouse is running now without hopping around everywhere
    It was number 5 that did it.
    I can start making dominoes on the weekends again Dominoes by Ronnie Rosales - Dominoes
    Have a good one!
    Cheers!
    How do you disable the touchscreen and just use the mouse?

Re: Keypad/touchscreen missing error

I have a 1986 Sabre 750 with A2100 control. The touch screen went down about 4 years ago and since I didn't have the money to replace the touch screen I took the back cover off to get access to the monitor cable. I disconnected it, ran it out of the box at the bottom and reinstalled the cover. Took an old VGA monitor I had laying around and hooked the machine monitor cable to the VGA monitor. On the side of the touchscreen box there are two connections, one for pointing device and one for keyboard. I unplugged the pointing device and plugged in a standard PS2 mouse. I also took the keyboard shelf off of the screen mount and took the keyboard off of the shelf so now I have a standard monitor, keyboard, mouse setup on a table next to the machine. Works great and have had no issues since I did the switch 4 years ago. And so much cheaper than the replacements. I think just about everyone who has been around computers a few years has the "old" components stashed in a closet or somewhere. Especially those of us from the DOS 6.2 days, LOL. Hope this helps,
    Mike
    South Carolina