585,702 active members*
4,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mazak, Mitsubishi, Mazatrol > Need to bypass Random selection/shortest path tool selection method

Need to bypass Random selection/shortest path tool selection method

We have a Mazak Nexus 5000 Mazatrol 640M. My problem is we have 2 tools which are over the diameter limit for the tool changer. The tools will tool change al right and fit in the carousel as long as they don't have tools next to them and don't go to far from the tool change position.....About 10 pots either way. Beyond that and they will hit the side of wall. Is there any way to give a tool a specific pot location so that it can't go anywhere else?

Thanks for any help...Randy

Hit a wall??? If you're using a tool diameter that is even bigger than the magazine can hold, you don't have much choice here on a chain style mag since it goes all around.
    Is is a wall you can move or sheet metal you can remove temporarily?

The chain should alreay be set for shortest path but there's always that chance it can go the "wrong" way" around depending on who's paying attention or not. You can reset the pocket/tool numbers on the set up but there's no guarantee if someone else comes along and does something.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Mazak

Thanks for the Reply. I think your right it could decide to go the "wrong way". I think what I'm going to do next is put some "dummy tools" in where the large diameter tool should be. I'm then going to run a "tool change" program 4 or five times and see if anything crazy happens.:cheers:

If it's a LARGE tool but still within the usable range of the magazine, as long as you describe the tool as LARGE on Tool Data you will be fine. Just make sure when you set up the LARGE tool, you already have it established in Tool Data and the magazine.

If you're using a tool that's larger than the magazine is rated for, "you're on your own".
    It may also help some if you change your parameter to not use RANDOM pocketing method (T number = pocket number). However, this still doesn't prevent an accident should the mag go the "wrong" way.

Best bet is to simply use a dummy tool for the mag and hand load/unload the tool within the program.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Hey .....thanks again for the reply. Can you elaborate on this "if you change your parameter to not use RANDOM pocketing method (T number = pocket number)"? Can this be done? ....I`m really new to this stuff.
    Thanks, Randy