584,325 active members*
6,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Proper use of sub spindle?

Recently purchased a '95 E25J. Never worked on a swiss lathe before but have experience with the old 6 spindle cam driven screw machines and couple decades of experience operating / programming CNC mill and lathes. Anyways i have a question about using the sub spindle while parting off. Tell me if this will cause damage to the sub sub spindle drive or not. Here is what i am doing -

Machine part using main spindle.
    Stop main and sub spindles.
    Advance sub spindle and clamp on part.
    Start main spindle.
    Partoff.
    Retract sub spindle.
    More machining etc etc.

I am curious if running only the main spindle motor while the part is clamped with the sub spindle will build up current in the sub spindle drive and cause damage. Is it considered normal practice with these machines to run both spindles while parting off? In my mind running both motors would only be possible if they were matched at exactly the same RPM. Not close to the same RPM but exactly.

Re: Proper use of sub spindle?

It is common practice for Main and Sub to be spinning at cutoff/pickoff. The spindles are synced for RPM, and can be synced for flats, hex, etc.. Are there any programs from the previous owner in memory? I've never ran an "E" type, but I'm sure I can come up with a generic program example for you. ------------- John :cheers:

Re: Proper use of sub spindle?

Is the part round where you are picking off? Citizens normally pick off parts while running. The rpms can be dialed in using the position page, read the rpm display and adjust in program if necessary.
    The rpms dont need to be exact just close if the part is round. The spindles dont start at same rate due to load and HP differences.