585,931 active members*
5,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

saftronics spindle drive inverter

Hi,

My saftronics drive went out(milltronics partner 1) and i need a new one or adivice on repairing this one. It's a cimr-pcd23p7 yaskawa (saftronics) 3 ph, 200-230v, 5hp 400 hz 6.7kva 17.5 A. I suspect the transistor pack went out because the machine doesn't go into e-stop, everything works fine aside from the spindle, the display goes out on the saftronics and i can hear the relay click off. I can't find a replacement transistor pack here in the states and can't afford to wait until one gets here from overseas and maybe that's not even the problem? The transistor pack is a FUJI 7MBR50LC060.
    If anyone has either a complete drive or knows where to get the pack here in the U.S. it would be greatly appreciated.(or tips on troubleshooting this one)

Thanks!

hmmmm... u can pay upto $ 400 for that transistor pak for a what, 10 yr old drive? and it may not be the broken part???

OR.....

u can buy a new off the shelf new technology replacement complete drive like for instance:
    X200-037LFU2 Inverter, 200-240 volt, 3 phase, 5 HP, 15.9 Amps 439.00 list price (plenty places sell it for like $ 300

or step up to a sensorless vector model like:
    WJ200-037LF Inverter, 200 volt, 3 phase, 5 CT (7.5 VT) HP, 17.5 CT (19.6 VT) Amps 585.00 folks selling on line for like $ 380

other similar brands too! newer technology, better protection against future failure, ur not left with a 3/4 warn out drive with a new transistor...... all from stock - get it next day.....

just a thought to consider

I know what you mean, i'm getting repair quotes from 650 to 1250.
    At that price it's a no brainer, get a new one. I did find the pack for $85 new,(overseas and 2 weeks away, i cant afford the time it'll take) so.... worth a shot???? Down time will cost even more if it doesn't fix it. I'm just concerned with an upgraded drive due to rewiring and parameters etc...what issues will i get into there that'll cost more downtime? So far everything i've found is going to require modifications to work and i'm just a dumb machinist with just enough technical knowledge to get into trouble. Would that drive you mentioned be fairly straight forward to install? Thanks for the reply!

ur right, straightforward to one person may not be to another. from comments on this forum i believe the normal models/brands often mentioned on here are pretty straightforward to most people & the dirt cheap chinese ones are not due to really bad documentation.

u cant afford downtime.... straightforward.... what does it have to do to get u back running in barebones mode? does it get a speed command from an NC? does it have to report back upto speed, zero speed, fault sig? what is the speed command? 0-5v? 0-10? +/-10v? is there run input?? and or forward? reverse? stop? do u need a speed meter readout? load meter readout to do the work you need? Lots of potential rewire issues - for most these are straighforward. these type replacement drives can usually do all of these things.

or can u get back running bare bones with putting 3 wires & a ground into the new vfd from your 230v 3ph power source, then wire 3 wires and a ground out to your motor and just use the vfd front panel's run/stop/speed adjust scheme - at least until you can add the other wires 1 at a time? If this is the case, then u shud be able to make the vfd replacement go in an hour. If lots of other interfacing then you could be down as u figure out the io for a while if u find it not straightforward.

where are u located in usa? perhaps there is another member from here that would come to your rescue and help u install and wire it? maybe in exchange for a dinner prepay card or case of beer or something? just something else to consider....

I just spent the last hour or 2 reading the instruction manual for the wj200,
    It does look much easier than i expected and fairly straight forward, it looks like the I/O signals can be set to either sink or source, my wiring is setup to sink so hopefully rewiring wont be an issue since i can set the new one the same. I guess i assumed the worst but the manual is very detailed. To take a chance on fixing mine would still be (at a great deal for the transistor pack) almost half of the cost of a hitatchi, better play it safe get a new one. Thanks for the lead!