586,009 active members*
4,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach 3 slave axis question

I am setup to have A axis slaved to Y axis. I was wandering if there was a way to tweak the A axis by its self? (Even while it is still slaved to Y)

Define "tweak"?

Generally, all settings for the slave must be the same as the master.
    You can make some changes, and Mch3 will ignore them. And you can make others that can be catastrophic (make sure both have the same homing speed).
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The main reason I want to do this is for the inital tuning of the gantry, befor the bolts are locked down. What I may do is to create a special config for doing this.

Is the 'A' a linear axis? Traditionally X, Y, and Z have parallel [linear axes] U, V and W. The rotary axes A around X, B around Y, and C around Z. Just a thought and mentioned as an FYI

I'm not sure what you mean by tweak either but you should have a homing switch for the y and A axis. You can fasten the switches to a base that allows you to slide it back and fourth to make fine adjustments for squaring up your Gantry...

Dan

On my last build I did the dual homeing switch thing to square up the gantry. This worked just fine. On this build the machine is too ridgid. There is no play once the gantry bolts are tight. I have to use the option "slave follows master" to home.

I wanted to tweak the A axis in order to do the inital squaring of the gantry. I now pretty much figured that once slave is activated there is no tweaking so I came up with a different method.

I use an alternate config file to square the gantry I have keys mapped to both the Y and A and jog is set to 1%. By placing a large adjustable T-Square on the table I can tweak ether axis to make it run square.

Once square I tighten all the bolts and she is perfect. Takes me all of 15 minutes. When I am done I go back to my slave based config file.