584,849 active members*
4,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Designing a cnc router

Hi,

im new here, ive been looking into building a cnc router after see'ing what people have made on the internet.
    Im currently a cnc operator for a steel engineering company, but i just want to use a this build for wood.

im going to design it using autocad/inventor or alibre, which ever im using most of at the time then hopefully build it this year, well thats the plan.

ive got few ideas and equipment to start with, unsure whether to build a small one just for A4 sized wood/engraving or A3, preferably A3.

but before i start, im unsure whether the frame work im thinking of will be strong enough, so would appreciate some advice please.

i have have 40 x 40 bosch extrusion framework to use, and was hoping to use it for the whole frame, would this be strong enough?
    i thought of doubling it up but then wondered if it would start effecting the precision of the machine when having to drill the holes for the bolts or adding plates to keep them together as the may be slightly out when assembling.

any advice is much appreciated, ill no doubt have more questions later, but this will get me started

Try looking at what other's have done. e.g. Joe's Hybrid 4x4 CNC Router
    You can find him on this forum too.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy86 View Post
    Hi,

im new here, ive been looking into building a cnc router after see'ing what people have made on the internet.
    Im currently a cnc operator for a steel engineering company, but i just want to use a this build for wood.

im going to design it using autocad/inventor or alibre, which ever im using most of at the time then hopefully build it this year, well thats the plan.

ive got few ideas and equipment to start with, unsure whether to build a small one just for A4 sized wood/engraving or A3, preferably A3.

but before i start, im unsure whether the frame work im thinking of will be strong enough, so would appreciate some advice please.

i have have 40 x 40 bosch extrusion framework to use, and was hoping to use it for the whole frame, would this be strong enough?
    i thought of doubling it up but then wondered if it would start effecting the precision of the machine when having to drill the holes for the bolts or adding plates to keep them together as the may be slightly out when assembling.

any advice is much appreciated, ill no doubt have more questions later, but this will get me started
    40 x 40 Bosch? Item uses 40 x 40, bosch has 45 x 45 last I checked. Anyway, it's rigid enough for cutting wood especially if it's small(ish) like A3.
    The "weak link" will be the connecting elements, get rigid ones. Not those small (Bosch) corner connecting things with a set screw..
    Not to mention good linear slides etc etc

Hub
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

pretty impressive that of joes hybrid, would love to achieve something like that, mabye in time

i think its bosch, not too sure, just what was told, its 40x40 with the tapered t slots in, seems strong stuff.

will have look about for connection parts, see whats about, hopefully linear slides i got are ok. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hub View Post
    40 x 40 Bosch? Item uses 40 x 40, bosch has 45 x 45 last I checked. Anyway, it's rigid enough for cutting wood especially if it's small(ish) like A3.
    The "weak link" will be the connecting elements, get rigid ones. Not those small (Bosch) corner connecting things with a set screw..
    Not to mention good linear slides etc etc

Hub
    Bosch Rexroth definitely has 4040 extrusion; in fact they have 20, 30, 40, 45, 50, 60, 80, 90, and 100 series extrusions. It is their regular-duty extrusion, theoy don't make a heavy-duty version in 4040.

Bosch has many gussets and connectors, as well as a variety of t-nuts with metric and Imperial threads. You can order direct from their werbsite, and it's shipped from your closest distributor...

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Bosch Rexroth definitely has 4040 extrusion; in fact they have 20, 30, 40, 45, 50, 60, 80, 90, and 100 series extrusions. It is their regular-duty extrusion, theoy don't make a heavy-duty version in 4040.

Bosch has many gussets and connectors, as well as a variety of t-nuts with metric and Imperial threads. You can order direct from their werbsite, and it's shipped from your closest distributor...
    Yes you are right, I checked their catalog. I just never saw it before for some reason.. I have only used 20 & 45 base profiles. All the 40x40 profiles I have used are made by Item. They are "heavy duty" product No.: 0.0.026.03.
    Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Re: Designing a cnc router