585,917 active members*
3,481 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Solids in Spaceclaim

I am having trouble with a drawing that is a simple solid cube with some external blind holes. Somewhare along the line I have managed to convert it to a sort of shell ( without using the shell tool!) but with just a shell, trying to put more holes in the "cube" is a problem because they don't show up as holes but as solids!

Did the faces become transparent? You could have accidentally deleted a face, which turns the solid into a surface model. Can you post an image if not the model?

Also, feel free to reach out to [email protected]

-Blake
    (a SpaceClaim employee)

If you look in the box on the top left, under the structure tab it should tell you if it is a solid or surfaces.

doug

Transparent solids!

Thanks for your replies. In reply to Doug, yes it is showing as a surface. My question is how does one convert the object back to a solid. I want to put more holes in it and they only show on the surface and then become solids when pulled which isn't what I am after.

Hope screenshot shows the detail.

Transparent solids!

Sorry! the screen shot was too large to upload. Attached should be OK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SC_screen_shot.jpg  

To turn it back to a solid you will need to use the combine tool and then window select your surfaces and press enter. Also for your pull tool, on the left side of your screen there are options to cut, add, or I think it's no merge to play with.

I bought SpaceClaim last Aug and haven't really gotten into it yet, so your at about the limits of my knowledge here.

Hope it helps.

doug

P.S. Make sure you save it first.

Transparent solids!

I have tried using the combine and also the fill tool but they don't work in this case. If I can't sort it out I am going to a training day in London at the end of the month so will take this query with me.

To Blake, I have now uploaded the actual file to see if you can spot what I am doing wrong.

Regards,

Andrew

I didn't immediately see the file, but it looks like you might have deleted a few faces. Try "Missing Faces" in the "Repair" tab. If that doesn't work, try selecting a few of the edges where the missing face is and hitting fill.

Progress?

Transparent solids!

I'll get the hang of this in a minute! Here (hopefully ) is the actual .scdoc file in a .zip file.

Regards,

Andrew

Dang. I am not seeing anything that resembles a link. Feel free to post it at send.spaceclaim.com

Not so transparent solid!

Blake, That did the trick! The repair tool highlighted the missing surfaces and after filling them in I got my solid back.

Thanks for the help. I am in the process of renewing my subscription with the UK agent and am gaining confidence with the SC software as I make more use of it and tear myself away from Autocad LT which has served me well but is useful for small 2D jobs like producing hole coordinate grids.

Regards,

Andrew
    Attached Files Attached Files