585,753 active members*
3,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > The feasibility of co-owning a 5-axis VMC for mold making ...

The feasibility of co-owning a 5-axis VMC for mold making ...

Hello,

I'm looking to take advantage of an European Union funding program for startups and get a high quality 5-axis milling machine to be used for mold making and other precision work.

Basically, a startup can get a 70% cashback on a new 5 axis milling machine (including software, tooling and VAT). The refund is limited to 200,000 EUR (263,000 USD). This means that one can spend 100% - 285,000 EUR (375,000 USD) and get back 70% - 200,000 EUR (263,000 USD).

It's a great opportunity, but I still can't justify such an investment, because I cannot generate enough orders to keep it busy.

So, I was thinking I could find other individual/businesses interested in co-owning a 5-axis VMC and using it on a time share basis.

If we split the cost in 10 equal parts, after the 70% cashback, each partner will pay 8550 EUR for using the machine 3 days a month.

What do you think about such an arrangement ? Is it feasible to co-own such a machine ?

Thank you for your time !

T.B.

how about if you have order on the same days or one of you can not finish the job on time. So you have problem with time sharing.

Nevermind orders on the same day, what happens when somebody crashes the machine and causes $50k in damage, who pays for maintenance, how do you keep track of al the tooling in the carousel? I think it would be foolish to share with even 1 other company, let alone 9.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Precision Works View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking to take advantage of an European Union funding program for startups and get a high quality 5-axis milling machine to be used for mold making and other precision work.

Basically, a startup can get a 70% cashback on a new 5 axis milling machine (including software, tooling and VAT). The refund is limited to 200,000 EUR (263,000 USD). This means that one can spend 100% - 285,000 EUR (375,000 USD) and get back 70% - 200,000 EUR (263,000 USD).

It's a great opportunity, but I still can't justify such an investment, because I cannot generate enough orders to keep it busy.

So, I was thinking I could find other individual/businesses interested in co-owning a 5-axis VMC and using it on a time share basis.

If we split the cost in 10 equal parts, after the 70% cashback, each partner will pay 8550 EUR for using the machine 3 days a month.

What do you think about such an arrangement ? Is it feasible to co-own such a machine ?

Thank you for your time !

T.B.
    If you could make that idea a success, the United nations would pay you 10 million Euros to go to the Middle East and create a peace accord between the Israelis and Palestinians.

Thank you for your input your points are valid.

70% off of a new machine is quite appealing cause you won't get such a discount anywhere else. I would like to be able to make my own molds for my injection molding business, cause right now the molds are costing me an arm and a leg.

It looks like it would be better to find a single partner, which is way more manageable. I already received some interesting offers. I only need the machine to make a couple of molds per month, so the other partner(s) can have the machine for themselves the rest of the time.

Like the guys are telling you, co-ownership is going to be more hassle than it's worth. It might be more feasible to find other companies that need 5-axis milling done, and rent them blocks of time at a favorable rate, where your technicians would do the work so you'd keep control over how the machine was used.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

I'm not entirely negative on coownership.

It has worked for others in the past. However I'm not so certain that is the modern approach. You may be farther ahead creating fee based access.

I'm thinking here Hacker Spaces as the current model. In other words start a for profit Hacker Space with the mill as a significant attraction. Of course a Hacker Space can't exist around one machine but a hunk of 5 axis CNC capability would be awesome.