585,555 active members*
3,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Wont Read L0

Wont Read L0

Hi to you all, having a bit of a problem with the Fanuc Controller on a Dah Lih Machining Centre. The system does not seem to recognise the L0 on the end of a drilling cycle and therefore drills a hole where I don't want one. e.g.

N10 G00 G56 X0. Y0. S1000 M3 (bolt hole centre)
    G43……...

G81 G98 Z-0.1 R0.1 F2.0 L0
    M98 PXXXX (hole positions)

I know I can avoid this problem by positioning the tool over the first hole on the N10 Line but there are times such as when using macros that I prefer to position the tool over the bolt hole circle centre.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know why it is happening?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by j206 View Post
    Hi to you all, having a bit of a problem with the Fanuc Controller on a Dah Lih Machining Centre. The system does not seem to recognise the L0 on the end of a drilling cycle and therefore drills a hole where I don't want one. e.g.

G43……...

I know I can avoid this problem by positioning the tool over the first hole on the N10 Line but there are times such as when using macros that I prefer to position the tool over the bolt hole circle centre.

Many thanks.
    Specify the model of the control. L0 should normally work with most models, but you could try K0.

Regards,

Bill

G43……...

Many thanks.
    uhhmm.. unless I'm missing something, your program is supposed to drill on the bolt hole center unless you put x and y position on the G81 line. If you don't want to put x and y positions on the drill cycle you have to call the position sub first before coding the drill cycle.

Uly

Quote Originally Posted by angelw View Post
    Specify the model of the control. L0 should normally work with most models, but you could try K0.

Regards,

Bill
    I think the model of the control is Fanuc OI Mc (?) thats what it says on the front of the control panel anyway. You could be onto something with the K as I had a look through one of my books and there is reference to Fanuc "O" using K instead of L. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to try it out today, had a big Inco job on that ran all shift, will try tomorrow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uperez View Post
    uhhmm.. unless I'm missing something, your program is supposed to drill on the bolt hole center unless you put x and y position on the G81 line. If you don't want to put x and y positions on the drill cycle you have to call the position sub first before coding the drill cycle.

Uly
    Hi Uly, maybe I am also missing something but I have used the stated method of L0 at the end of the drill cycle line many times no matter whether I had X0, Y0, included in the drill cycle line or not. You are right that a hole should be drilled at X0, Y0 if no L0 was included on the same line but the L0 should stop the drill operation from being executed at these co-ordinates.

Thanks

Hi Uly, maybe I am also missing something but I have used the stated method of L0 at the end of the drill cycle line many times no matter whether I had X0, Y0, included in the drill cycle line or not. You are right that a hole should be drilled at X0, Y0 if no L0 was included on the same line but the L0 should stop the drill operation from being executed at these co-ordinates.

Thanks
    wow.. this is something new to me. I always thought that L0/K0 was the same as without L/K on the drill cycle line, didn't know that 0 will cancel out the cycle on the position where the cycle was called.

Thanks for this info.

Uly

G81 G98 Z0.1 R0.1 F2.0
    X10.0 Y10.0 Z-0.1(HOLE2)
    X20.0 Y-10.0 Z-0.5(HOLE 3)
    X25.0 Y110.0 Z-0.1(HOL4 )
    X15.0
    Y15.0

Try this as i dont know anyone still using that method --no reason anymore

I tried the G81 line this morning using the K0 on the end of the line and it worked fine (stopped the drill cycle from being executed at that co-ordinate) so problem solved. Thanks for the help guys.:rainfro:

@ Uly, well thats one of the real joys of our job, you know, I have worked at a few different places all with their own particular pluses and negatives but one thing has always been a constant, you can be sure you will come across something new that you have not encounter before. I have been programming for around 15 years and I still have lots to learn. Thanks