585,942 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Booster for spindle?

I have just purchased an Excellon 820 spindle for my project, and it has automatic collet closer, which requires 450 PSI to operate! Apparently a "booster" is something that gets added in the line leading to the collet opener, and multiplies the air pressure going to the spindle. Anyone know a good cheap source for these? Don't need continous pressure, just a puff to open the collet at the right moment during tool change. The only ones I found using Google were continuous supply, reciprocating piston types- very expensive. I suppose I could just take two air cylinders back to back? I already have a Bimba push cylinder of small size, and If I can make my own 7X booster so I can use 80PSI shop air, it would be nice.

Interest In New Spindle.

Hello Corvus

I am interested in the new spindle assembly that you just purchased. If you don't mined me asking, were did you purchase it and for how much? What type of tooling does it take? I am looking for a replacement Spindle for a CNC Milling machine I am working on. Would like to find a round spindle cartrige that has a flange for mounting and takes R8 tooling. Do you have any pictures of your new toy? What about a web site from the place you purchased it from? Thanks for the help with my questions.

Regards
    Willyb

Hi,

Dont really know if it will be of much help to you, but I too use excellon spindles, QD-1010, however, these spindles need about 90 psi, Im not really sure how you got the 450 psi rating.

Although I use a compressor just once in a while to change a tool, i did manage to drill through the top spindles plate and make threads for a 6mm bolt which i could turn hard enough to open the collette.

I would highly recommend using the air though.
    Try 90 psi, should do your work.

Best of luck

Willyb- I found the spindle on Ebay. It is much too small to take R8 tooling, though. This is a 1 HP 60K RPM high speed machining spindle, and its collets are captive 1/8 inch capacity. It is designed for high speed drilling and routing of PC boards, and being ball bearing supported, is also suitable for light machining of Aluminum and other typically soft materials at high speed. I paid $350 for it, and I still need to find a suitable high frequency 3 phase power supply.

Drk- I think your spindle is equipped with an onboard booster: "Boosterless", as it were. The model 880 is the exact same spindle as my 820, but equipped with the internal booster arrangement like your 1010. Apparently the air ram is quite small in this spindle. What are you using your 1010 on? Is it working well on materials other than PCB, or are you limiting them to just fiberglass. I'm hoping this spindle will handle the light machining and engraving of aluminum panels I'm intending for it. Also, You wouldn't happen to know the supply voltages required, would you? My brain says 48 volts, 3 phase at 16 amps max- that works out to 768W, 1 HP. I'll be able to run it with a Castle Phoenix 45 speed control if thats the case...

Hi Corvus Corax

Thanks for the information on your Spindle. Like you say it's a little small for my application. It never hurts to ask. Thanks again.

Willyb

Corvus: I am using the spindle for exactly what it was designed to do, drill PCBs. I have milled and drilled aluminum a couple of times though.
    However, I can recommend a drive for your spindle.
    I use Danfoss VLT2800, its cheap, easy to configure, and has an output freq. range till 1000Hz, which gets you full 60000 rpm from the spindle. If the spindle you have is a routing spindle, it will do most jobs for you.
    The volt rating of these spindles is:

200V-1000Hz.

Mine can go upto 80000 rpm but these are the settings I use on my spindles and they work fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bimba sells boosters, they are only doublers though. Guess you could take two inline to get to 450. seems like $150 - $200 for one.
    Haskel also makes them, if I'm not mistaken they aren't cheap though.
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Thanks for the info guys. 200V- Wow. Lower current, though. I guess I'll have to look for the Danfoss, but when I looked up the engineering info on it, it seems to state that the frequency range stops at 120. Is this right?

I was thinking if U pushed a large enough air cylinder agains a hydraulic. 450psi for air is awefully high. Can it be hydraulically actuated? Bimba has either 100psi, 250psi air or 500psi hydraulic. Is it spring return or bouble acting?

High pressure air:

google search for:
    pneumatic intensifier

http://www.mrm-inc.com/Products/Hypercyl/Hyp_prod.html
    Scott_bob

Drk: I have found, and purchased, the Danfoss you mentioned. Can you tell me how you have yours set up? I'd like the speed to be controllable by my software, and I know the 2800 has 1-10V signal capability, industry standard. I may just run it manually at first, as my machine isn't even built yet, just to make sure everything works. What are you using as a colling system? I was thinking about picking up a Bernard water cooler, such as used on my TIG torches. Not much to them really, and probably HUGE overkill for this speindle, as it is only 1HP.

My spindle is a routing spindle, I figured the bearings wuld be better able to deal with the loads I'm going to be putting on them with Aluminum than the drilling spindles such as the 1010. So you run your spindle at 200V-do I simply set the controller to output 200v by menu, then?

Hi, I use deskcnc and use a relay trigger using the spindle on function in the softwatre. Spindle speed in my case is better kept adjustable with an external 10K pot, gives me easy control.

U need to go on step by step when it comes to programming the drive, follow the manual, programming it to output 200V wont be an issue but, getting the 1000Hz output could take a few trials for the first time, best to not connect the spindle until u see 200V at 1000 Hz in the output, varying along the V/F ratio.

Only then connect the spindle and make sure u get the spindle direction correct.

and u r right bout the spindles, the routing spindle can take eadial as well as axial loads, should have better life aswell.

I am using a small cooling mechanism with a pump and a tiny radiator to keep the spindle cool.

Best of luck with ur stuff

Cheers

Dev