584,863 active members*
4,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

quick question

Can someone tell me how the orientation arm locks the spindle in place? I have a 4020 that I am apparently rebuilding one thing at a time and the spindle doesn't always lock in the exact same place. The variance is only a little but you can sometimes move it by hand a bit until it locks (maybe 5 degrees of rotation or so), then it is positively located. This is causing the turret to occasionally not locate properly on the spindle keys. I know on my 15XT the spindle has always made a solid "clunk" when orienting since new. The 4020 makes no sound at all. It just slows down and then stops....sometimes on location, sometimes not.

The orient arm goes into a cam at the pulley; the pulley has a mark inside the bore; that has to be aligned with the mark on top of the spindle. Also if it is just a litte bit off, put a tool in the spindle, remove the in and out assy. on the orient bridge there is a bolt that holds the arm, undo it a few turns, (with the tool in the spindle) bring the turret by hand
    to catch the spindlo; Bring the orient arm to the pulley cam, hold it taigh againt it and thight the screw.

Thanks, Denmar. Any idea why the other machines make a solid sound at engagement and this one is nearly silent?

Maybe the air valves are different, or the piston at the arm is bad.

Dennis is right, Also, sometimes the pulley is worn out where the wheel (bearing) locks in. This is usually caused by running the air pressure too high.

Max