585,925 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Remote stop / go switch SWI cnc

Hi all,
    I am looking for a used remote stop / go switch for my prototrak cnc milling machine.
    I assume that it is the same for most retrofit models.
    I have the Trak AGE 2 model.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Have plans - can email

Hi Tom in NH

I have built several of these switches for our machines - I can send you details on what I have done if you would like - I have all the internals and you can make the case to fit however. Let me know!

JKruger,

Thanks for the info. We should have what I need here. We have an electronics dept. I just needed the manufacturer, but this is even better. Thanks a million!

Pete

Proto Trak

Hay ATScuba I was having the same problem with mine and could you be able to send me a diagram please and thanks

Diagrams

Corndog - I can send you a sketch of the electrical hookup and the mechanical that I have - Are you wanting to make a complete unit or just rework some existing parts? Reason I ask is we had fixed ours for several years, but eventually the switches started failing, and the wires too - so I have actually bought connectors and pins and the crimper to make up new cables, and I have a very nice microswitch that is sealed too.

Let me know what you need.

Proto Trak

I am looking to rework the one I have Im not sure how the wires and transistors hook in to the switch

Did you get what you needed with that PDF? That is a pretty basic one - I have substantially more info if you need it - let me know!
    Attached Files Attached Files

proto trak

Yes and it will work perfect and I was wondering if you can send me the one to make one if I need to

Thanks for getting back with me so fast

Yes I can, What machine does it need to fit?

Hi Jkruger, I'm very new to this cnczone so I hope this message gets to you. I am interested in getting one of these switches. I have an LX2 controller on a 1745P lathe. Older one, around 1998.

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get the connector for the remote stop and go switch or a part no. for it?

Do an ebay search for 206429-1 . there is some very inexpensive stuff there or go to allied electronics with the same number. You will need pins and a clamp also. i have everything you need (connector, pins, cable clamp) if that is easier for you.

Re: Remote stop / go switch SWI cnc

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but do you have the pin numbering for the stop/go switch?

(I'm also looking for the pinout of the 14pin SWiI Q input (Z scale) if anyone has it)

TIA

Bill
    Bill

BillTodd,

The wires from handle are installed into pins 1 and 4 of the Amphenol connector - they are not polarized, so either wire may go in either position

I do not have info on the 14pin Z scale connector - sorry!

Thanks ATscuba .

I took the cover off the encoder end of the motor and traced the wires of the X axis (I assume the same pins will be used for all axes) .

I'll report back if all works as expected :-)
    Bill

Just to provide a bit of useful info (not much SWI info in the web)

I have the Quill dro working now. The default settings are pretty accurate using an Easson 5um glass scale. There is a conversational scale calibration option (code 123) that asks you to set up a test using gauge blocks.

The SWI prototrak Axes use 14pin AMP circular plastic connectors(CPC) by Tyco Electronics

Axis pinout is
    1 - Encoder /B (wire colour yel/wht)
    2 - +5v (Red)
    3 - Encoder B (yellow)
    4 - 115vac to servo amp (black)
    5 - Screen ground
    6 - 0v Servo ground (Red/Wht)
    7 - enable (?)to servo amp (blk/wht)
    8 - 115vac to servo amp (white)
    9 - not used
    10 -PWM to servo amp (brown)
    11 -/PWM to servo amp (brn/wht)
    12 - Encoder /A (org/wht)
    13 - 0v Encoder (Black)
    14 - Encoder A (Orange)

Stop / Go switch uses a 4pin AMP circular plastic connectors(CPC) by Tyco Electronics

1 - Switch contact (normally open - should have some deboucing filter)
    2 - not used
    3 - not used
    4 - Switch contact

Bill
    Bill

Looking for information on the remote stop and go switch for ProtoTrak MX2 control. I would like to buy the components and make myself or purchase a complete switch. Mine was missing when I recently bought the mill (WEBB). Any help or leads would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by oxcart View Post
    Looking for information on the remote stop and go switch for ProtoTrak MX2 control. I would like to buy the components and make myself or purchase a complete switch. Mine was missing when I recently bought the mill (WEBB). Any help or leads would be appreciated!
    For information on the wiring see my post in this thread from Jan. 2013 - I have a diagram of the wiring on switch
    I have and can send you a BOM list of parts that I have used on switch units - the OEM units from SWI are approx $200 or so - but they don't hold up too well and maintenance on them can be challenging (they have a threaded fitting on the end that you have to tighten down and the wires get twisted some when you do that)
    PM me if you would like details and I will send

Here is a link to GrabCAD - for the project that I did on these switch units. I have a number of these components and can answer questions if needed. Best!
    https://grabcad.com/library/prototrak-switch-handle-1