585,604 active members*
3,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > importing dxf???

importing dxf???

Please bare with me, I have no official training (except for a SolidWorks course) and I bought all of my machinery used and don't have the disks (so I don't think I can transfer MasterCam onto my machine computer) or manuals.

I have been frustrated with LazyCam lately and decided to try MasterCam since there is a copy of it on my design computer. I don't think I can get it onto my machine computer.

My question is this: Can I import a dxf file from SolidWorks, open it in MasterCam, clean up the tool path and then post to.....some where. Take the G-Code and transfer it to my machine computer to get it into Mach3???

I've been fooling around on MasterCam (X3) and it looks like more of a design tool??? It doesn't want to open dxf files.

Thanks for your help,

WM.

Hi

I´m no expert in MasterCam and use primarily Mastercam8, but it is possible to import dxf files into MasterCam.
    In M8 it is under the file button, I choose Converters and dxf.

The path in X3 should be similar, somebody is bound to comment on it.

You´re going to need the post processor file for your machine and then you can transfer the code as a file to the machine computer.

Atli

A seperate post? LazyCam had the post already in. Or, would it have been installed later?

Here's how I get the code to my machine.
    I use Autocad to create my drawing.
    I save it as a .dxf file.
    I open the dxf in sheetcam and tweak the cutting paths etc.
    I run the post processor for my machine (selected in Sheetcam)
    I upload to my machine.
    The file created by sheetcam can be opened directly in Mach3. This is for my mill though. If your talking about a lathe, that I don't know.

I would like to use Mastercam for all my machining projects. Big learning curve though.

That's bout how I did it with SolidWorks, LazyCam and Mach3 until LazyCam stopped recognizing circles and turned them into 20 sided objects with a whole lot more code.

The way described for V8 is no longer the current way to do it you should just be able to go file> open and change the file type to dxf and it should open right up.

Mastercam will open DXF files no problem. Keep in mind that you need more than Mastercam design though in order to do actual programming. A DXF file is no more than a two dimensional geometry file. You need Mastercam mill level 2 to program/create actual machine code.