584,858 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki Mills > Mori Seiki VMC, MV-50W 6M control. Tool magazine keeps going round and round.

Mori Seiki VMC, MV-50W 6M control. Tool magazine keeps going round and round.

I have been having this issue for sometime now and cannot seem to figure it out. The issue is that only sometimes when you call up a tool the magazine rotates and it will rotate for up to 45 minutes if you let it. There are only 32 pockets. I have been looking into a lot of different things.
    I thought maybe it was a solenoid issue but when it gets close to the pocket that is called up the output doesn't turn on.

Then there is LS34 which is a prox sensor that turns on when it is on pockets 1-16 and off from 17-32. This prox seems to be working fine. The light on the prox turns on and also the input 55-5 turns on and off accordingly.

Then started looking into a rotary transducer that is used on this machine as well. It is a Yamatake Honeywell p/n: 7RTA5016 PB-D5-L2.
    In our maintenance manual it says that under PC Parameter 253 that there is a parity check. Then goes on to say that PC Parameter 701 allows parity checking for the transducer. This is where I get confused.
    This parameter is in binary and I understand that from right to left it counts 1,2,4,8,16 and then there is a bit that is not in use and then the following bit seems like it should become a one when a tool pocket that is higher then 16 is called up. So if tool 21 is called up I would think that the bits should look as follows. 01000101. This is not the case. I have pocket 21 as 00000101. Which should be 5. The other weird thing is that pocket 1 is the same as 17, pocket 2 is the same as 18......pocket 16 is the same as 32.
    The issue where it keeps going around doesn't happen all the time but often. The thing when it works parameter 701 is still the same. I know there is a lot of information but please help me out if you have any ideas or similar problems. Thank You Justin

Thats cause the LS34 tells the control first batch of tools, or second batch. So 1 will be the same as 17 in your case, however the LS34 tells the control upper or lower tool count. Your failure is a typical transducer error btw.

Thanks underthetire.
    I got price and availability for the transducer and it is $4218.56 and in stock in Japan. You are confident you have come across a similar problem before. My boss is just a little leary to spend that much money not knowing for sure. But this has been an ongoing issue for a while so I will try to persuade him. Thanks again.

OUCH. Last one I did was about 900. How confident can I be, not exactly easy to troubleshoot over the internet.

For that kind of money i would do 1 of two things. Call all world with your old transducer number and see if they could find you one.

Hire the distributor to come in and properly diagnose it. That way you don't eat 4K if it doesn't fix it.

We ended up calling a Service department and they found it was something with the transducer. There is a strobe signal that is suppose to change states I believe for each pocket, but ours doesn't change at all. So they looked into it a little more instead of just buying the new one. They thought a transistor was bad so they replaced that but did not help. I will keep you informed once we find a fix.

We ended up sending our transducer out and get it repaired. So instead of $4200 it was about $1700. Put it in machine and set up the position and so far so good. I have done about 30+ tool changes without it faulting out. I will update again after we have ran it for a few days. But I think we got it. Thanks again for all your help underthetire it is greatly appreciated.