585,743 active members*
4,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > organizing your TTS or other tooling

organizing your TTS or other tooling

So I just got some more TTS holders and now I am trying to figure out a good system to organize and or categorize all the quick change tooling and tool table in Mach and the Cam software.

1) Do you label your tool tray?
    2) Do you label your TTS holders? If so how?
    3) How are you organizing your tool table?
    4) How do you organize your Cam software tool table?

Lets say I have a bunch of NC files saved. If I change the tool numbers in the cam software then the older files have the wrong tool numbers and I have to back and edit those each time I renumber tooling in the Cam software.

To prevent this in the future I was thinking of ordering things like I have it below and leaving reserved spots. But if I reserve spots for future expansion (more collet or drill chucks) do I also reserve those spots in the tool rack IF the rack is numbered? If only the holders are numbered then it's not such a big deal but how do you label or number your tool holders?

Tool
    000 Indicator
    001 Edge Finder
    002 Collet #1
    003 Collet #2
    004 Reserved
    005 Reserved
    006 Drill Chuck #1
    007 Drill Chuck #2
    008 Drill Chuck #3
    009 Reserved
    010 Reserved
    011 End Mill - 1/2" - 2F
    012 End Mill - 3/8" - 2F

So how are you doing it?
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

There is no "best" solution to that problem. I wrote a G-code post-processor that, reads the G-code output by the CAM software, re-writes it making a bunch of changes. Some of the things I do are:

1) Logical-to-physical tool mapping - In the CAM, I have a very large number of tools defined, each with a full set of parameters, each optimized for a specific type of cut. So, for each physical tool, say a 1/2" 2-flute HSS endmill, I will have a half-dozen or so logical tools defined - for example, one for slotting, one for finishing, one for peripheral milling, etc. So, in the CAM, I just select the right tool for the type of cut, and don't have to mess with parameters at all. But, the G-code output from the CAM will now have a lot of unnecessary toolchanges, since several logical tools maps to a single physical tool. So, my post-post collapses those, removes the unnecessary toolchanges, and also re-numbers the tools sequentially. I will, at some point, create a tool length database, so the tool lengths will be pulled from the data base when the program is loaded into the CNC controller app (I also wrote my own...).
    2) Since my mill has four step-pulleys, and two motor speeds, I optimize the selection of motor speeds and pulleys to minimize the number of pulley changes, and keep the VFD frequency within acceptable limits. When a pulley or motor speed change is required, I insert a prompt into the G-code (using M0) telling me what needs to be changed.
    3) I insert code before and after all M0s to stop the spindle and coolant before the M0, and restore them after the M0.
    4) I write the tool table into the G-code in a format that my controller app recognizes, and can load directly when the G-code is loaded.
    5) I expand all drilling operations to do a custom peck-drilling cycle optimized for my machine and tools.
    6) I generate a documentation file giving a summary of the sequence of operations, and they parameters, to make it easier to keep track of where I am while the program is running.

Personally, I find entering tool lengths to be a very, VERY minor inconvenience. My average job probably uses perhaps 6 tools, so it takes only 2-3 minutes to measure all the tools, using a digital height gauge, and enter the data into the tool table when I load the program. Given that my programs run, on average, 60-90 minutes, and I'll run the same program 5-10 times in a given day, those few minutes are lost in the noise. Hence, the reason creating a tool length database is WAY down on my list of priorities.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I wrote my tool table based on all possible tools that I could think of, instead of all the tools I have. That way, I have room for expansion without loosing organization.

My tool table is a spreadsheet. It has additional fields for manufacturer name, MSC part number, feeds and speeds for aluminum, stainless, steel, and brass, and notes. I didn't paste in the whole thing here, just the relevant bits.

I left numbers for all the sizes of mills that I might own, in both end mill, ball end mill, and extra long end mill.

There are more drill sizes than Mach can handle with individual tool numbers, so instead I assign each drill chuck a tool number.

I only own a single Tormach face mill, but it uses two tool numbers. I found out that the steel cutting inserts are a different length from the aluminum cutting inserts. Rather than re-measure the tool each time, I just swap inserts. Eventually I may get a second face mill, and at that point each one can have its own number.

Tool Size Description
    1 1/ 5 Edge Finder
    2 Positive Stop
    3 Probe
    4 3/ 4 End Mill
    5 3/ 4 Ball Mill
    6 3/ 4 Long Mill
    7 11/16End Mill
    8 11/16Ball Mill
    9 11/16Long Mill
    10 16mmIndexible End Mill
    11 5/ 8 Ball Mill
    12 5/ 8 Long Mill
    13 9/16End Mill
    14 9/16Ball Mill
    15 9/16Long Mill
    16 1/ 2 End Mill
    17 1/ 2 Ball Mill
    18 1/ 2 Long Mill
    19 7/16End Mill
    20 7/16Ball Mill
    21 7/16Long Mill
    22 3/ 8 End Mill
    23 3/ 8 Ball Mill
    24 3/ 8 Long Mill
    25 5/16End Mill
    26 5/16Ball Mill
    27 5/16Long Mill
    28 1/ 4 End Mill
    29 1/ 4 Ball Mill
    30 1/ 4 Long Mill
    31 3/16End Mill
    32 3/16Ball Mill
    33 3/16Long Mill
    34 1/ 8 End Mill
    35 1/ 8 Ball Mill
    36 1/ 8 Long Mill
    37 1/16End Mill
    38 1/16Ball Mill
    39 1/16Long Mill
    40 1/32End Mill
    41 1/32Ball Mill
    42 1/32Long Mill
    43 3/16Back Chamfer Mill
    44 5/ 8 Chamfer Mill
    45 1/ 2 Chamfer Mill
    46 3/ 8 Chamfer Mill
    47 1/ 4 Chamfer Mill
    48 3/ 4 60 Degree Dovetail
    50 1 1/ 2Face Mill for Al
    51 1 1/ 2Face Mill for Steel

53 1/ 4 Engrave 0.020"
    54 1/ 4 Engrave 0.004"
    55 2 1/32” Slitting Saw
    56 2 1/32” Slitting Saw

100 1/ 8 Center Drill
    101 1/ 4 Center Drill
    102 1/ 2 Center Drill
    103 Large Drill Chuck
    104 Large Drill Chuck
    105 Large Drill Chuck
    106 Large Drill Chuck
    107 Large Drill Chuck
    108 Small Drill Chuck
    109 Small Drill Chuck
    110 Small Drill Chuck
    111 Small Drill Chuck
    112 Small Drill Chuck

Oh, more details on labeling. I use a label maker and put a label on each dedicated tool holder.

It's no a perfect solution. If I make a change to the tool table, I have to go back and edit every program to account for the change. That can become cumbersome. And it can lead to mistakes. I made a two piece drill bit yesterday because I forgot to do that.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oops.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    Oh, more details on labeling. I use a label maker and put a label on each dedicated tool holder.

It's no a perfect solution. If I make a change to the tool table, I have to go back and edit every program to account for the change. That can become cumbersome. And it can lead to mistakes. I made a two piece drill bit yesterday because I forgot to do that.

the last time i had a part on my machine the looked like the part in your pic , i was making ink slingers

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    the last time i had a part on my machine the looked like the part in your pic , i was making ink slingers

Good eye. That's exactly what it is.

Frederic

OK I give, what's a Ink Slinger?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    OK I give, what's a Ink Slinger?
    my guess would be a tattoo gun

Ray,
    That sounds like a nice setup but most of that (the programming) is beyond my capabilities. I don't have a height gauge (on the to get list) yet so for now I have to measure the tool on the machine in Mach then enter them into the tool table.

I do like the idea of different parameters for the same tool... I use "styles" in CamBam for basically the same idea.

What do you use for a tool rack?

Fred,
    Your system is more like what I was thinking of but once the list gets that long I find it easy to choose the wrong tool in the cam software because the names are so similar.

Can you post a picture of your labeled tool holders?
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    What do you use for a tool rack?
    I have several of the $20 wooden TTS racks Tormach sells. I have two in my tool chest that act as the "home" for all my tools, and one more on my machine console that I holds all the tools for the current job, with the tool "slots" numbered.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Since I did not have any labels I thought would hold up to the coolant I ended up painting numbers in the base of each tool holder. This way I can easily change them if needed and they should stay fairly dry.

My tool racks are cut from aluminum channel I have had around forever. I can put labels on the rack as needed.

Thanks for the idea's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg  
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

my collection its growing and I finally had to start labeling the holders and re number everything. So far I like my new system and labeling. I picked up an orange paint pen from dykem and labeled the chamfer on the holders (nose) 33% apart.

So far none have scratched or flaked (3 coats) from use. I run kool mist 77, but my tap guide have me a "22" tattoo from tapping fluid getting everywhere while tapping 600 holes last weekend. Eventually I went and bought some good spiral flute taps, threw em in the irwin tap holder and did the last few hundred with a porter cable drill (freakin great results btw). I thought about powder coating some clear coat over it but doubt I will since it takes about 90 seconds to blast the paint off with brake cleaner and re paint with the pen.

My numbering system is designed for maximum growth.

1-9 job specific tools with out their own holder (ER20s)
    10-14 Drill chucks
    15-19 Face Mills
    20-39 Utility tools (Small spot dri ll 20, large 21, tap guide 22, 10fl 3/4" chamfer 24)
    40-59 1/8"
    60-79 3/16"
    80-99 1/4"
    100-119 3/8"
    120-139 7/16"
    140-159 1/2"
    160-179 >1/2"
    180-199 unknown yet ???
    200-253 Kid Gloves (<1/8")

I put roughers first, then 2flt, 3flt, 4fl, ball nose

So 100 is a .375*.375 rougher, 101 is .375x1.5" rougher. 104 is a 2fl .375x.75 al em, 115 is a .375x.875 ball nose.

all of that is from memory as I'm at work and my memory sucks. I think that means the system is working so far

best part is: it will be a good day when I out grow this system since I'll obviously have a controller for a much bigger machine

That chamfer is really small how did print it. Can you post a picture.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by kregan View Post
    That chamfer is really small how did print it. Can you post a picture.
    ?

I get it now, I was having a moment... I though you meant you wrote the number on the small chamfer at the tool change slot. You must have written it on the nose chamfer.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

sorry, should have posted a pic

I still have yet to label these

Just picture me scratching my head thinking... how in the hell did he write those tiny letters? (chair)
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

lol. single hair paint brush...