585,932 active members*
3,757 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Universal Joint - max angle before binding?

For a single Universal Joint, what is the maximum achievable angle one could expect, before the joint binds or locks up?

Is there a particular type or style of U joint design that allows for an angle approaching 90 degrees?

I would think for something approaching 90 degrees of angle you're probably better off using something like bevel gears.

Mark

Hi, I came across an interesting drive situation I once had in a model steam boat that had two shafts with a coupling so simple and variable.

It consisted of the shaft ends ending in two loops, one within the other.

You can get an idea of the drive capability by bending two pieces of wire and making two round loops in the ends, placing one lopp in the other.

Hold the ends of the wires and rotate one end and the other end will rotate no matter how the angle varies....no matter how you allign the "shafts", the drive will be smooth and positive.

Even when the shafts are at 90 deg to each other the drive still works smoothly.

This is a simple example, but if'n the principle is developed to give wear resistance etc, it could suit a number of needs where a cheap and easy DIY solutuion is required....it certainly worked on the model steam boat drive shaft I had.

BTW, the shafts also don't have to be precisely in line.

There is a minus factor in that when the rotation is reversed there is a lot of lost motion or backlash present.
    Ian.