584,866 active members*
5,209 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fix it! (Moving to fixed gantry)

Hi all. I built a moving gantry router primarily out of MDF over the past 6 months. My own design, which was probably a bit ambitious. Now I am left with a machine that works... but is not square, nor rigid.

Parts I have:
    16mm supported rails: 1100mm, 600mm, 300mm
    1605 Ballscrews: 1100mm, 600mm, 300mm
    Chinese 1.5kw spindle + VFD
    Gantry bridge: 80x80mm aluminium extrusion 610mm long.

My concept is fairly simple:

The 1100mm rails bolt straight on to 30x60mm extrusion with 2 (or 3) cross beams.
    Then some short length of 30x60 stick out. On to these bolt 60x60mm gantry uprights.
    The extrusion will be joined by bolt in slot into tapped end + some corner brackets.
    The gantry beam is then attached these with a bracket (not pictured) - this is the main problem with the design, obviously not as strong as gantry beam sitting directly on the uprights. However, unless I want to get rid the $50 piece of metal I have all set up with rails and replace it with a longer piece (which I'd do from 60x60, therefore need nuts etc adding to the $$$) then I'm stuck with this.
    Also not pictured is bracing for the uprights in the X axis plane. I picture that this can be done very cheaply with sheet bolted to the outside of the uprights (triangle shape) with a free edge 'resting' on the table holding the machine.

Thoughts?
    Load of crap?

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Hi all. I built a moving gantry router primarily out of MDF over the past 6 months. My own design, which was probably a bit ambitious. Now I am left with a machine that works... but is not square, nor rigid.

Parts I have:
    16mm supported rails: 1100mm, 600mm, 300mm
    1605 Ballscrews: 1100mm, 600mm, 300mm
    Chinese 1.5kw spindle + VFD
    Gantry bridge: 80x80mm aluminium extrusion 610mm long.

My concept is fairly simple:

The 1100mm rails bolt straight on to 30x60mm extrusion with 2 (or 3) cross beams.
    Then some short length of 30x60 stick out. On to these bolt 60x60mm gantry uprights.
    The extrusion will be joined by bolt in slot into tapped end + some corner brackets.
    The gantry beam is then attached these with a bracket (not pictured) - this is the main problem with the design, obviously not as strong as gantry beam sitting directly on the uprights. However, unless I want to get rid the $50 piece of metal I have all set up with rails and replace it with a longer piece (which I'd do from 60x60, therefore need nuts etc adding to the $$$) then I'm stuck with this.
    Also not pictured is bracing for the uprights in the X axis plane. I picture that this can be done very cheaply with sheet bolted to the outside of the uprights (triangle shape) with a free edge 'resting' on the table holding the machine.

Thoughts?
    Load of crap?
    Seems like you can make your table a lot narrower, since your gantry travel would be the length of the rail minus the width of your carriage? Would make you gantry stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post

Thoughts?
    Load of crap?
    I don't think that the triangles resting on the table will increase rigidity at all. They need to be fastened to the tubes under the table.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Seems like you can make your table a lot narrower, since your gantry travel would be the length of the rail minus the width of your carriage? Would make you gantry stronger.
    louie: My lower Y rail runs on the underneath of the gantry beam. This means I can't get the uprights under the (current) beam. Changing the work table size won't change that unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I don't think that the triangles resting on the table will increase rigidity at all. They need to be fastened to the tubes under the table.
    Gerry: I should have been clearer, the braces would rest on the benchtop, not the work table. I'll CAD it up tonight.