584,817 active members*
4,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Fault Delta 10

I need more help, I got a lot of help on my Clausing Mill to get it out of E-stop. I'm not sure how to link to that other thread, it has some background not sure it's related but I thought I should start a new thread on this one. If anybody can teach me how to link threads I'd appreciate it.

I am now out of e-stop and can jog the machine, but I can't get the spindle to come on. As I read the Dynapath manual shouldn't I be able to turn the spindle on manually when in jog mode?
    I checked the PIC table and Spindle enable Word 9 Bit B is set to 0. When I check the schematic, with the motor slelector switch set to CCW I think I should get 24 volts at TB1-5. Does this make sense or am I misreading the schematic?

I replaced EEPROM 4201642 F with one I had that was marked Bad, maybe it was bad because of the spindle error.

Any and all help is appreciated.

It's possible you've now discovered why the EEPROM was marked "BAD."

There are a couple things you can try, though. First, does the spindle switch work in the CW position? Next, try executing an M03 or M04 in the Program mode and the spindle switch in the Auto position. This should also turn the spindle on.

Execute an M03 or M04 by going into the Program mode (Mode 3) and then pushing 'N,' '.' (the decimal point), 'Enter.' This puts the control in a pseudo-MDI mode. Now press the 'Event Type' key and then '9' to bring up the M-Function event. Press 'M,' '4' (or '3,' your choice), and 'Enter.'

Now press the Cycle Start key to execute the event (with the spindle switch in the Auto position.) Once you've got the spindle running, you should be able to go back to the Jog mode (Mode 0) and jog the machine with the spindle on.

If after all this, you can't get the spindle to start and you've verified that the bit in the I/O table is still zero, then I would have to assume the EEPROM we've been discussing is faulty. FYI, this EEPROM is programmed with the machine code of the programmable interface. Today, this is referred to generally as the PLC code, ladder logic or something similar. In DynaPath parlance, it's called a PIC or Programmable Interface Control.

I don't have the I/O table with me at the moment. I'll check it later when I have the chance, just to make sure you're looking at the right point.

So no luck tonight, I went through the steps and nothing. Word 9 Bit B still 0. Just for fun I tried an M06 command and the tool change light did come on briefly. I'm not sure if this is related but when I first power up the screen has;
    "PIC REVUSION #005 11/05/87"
    "SPINDLE IN CCW POSITION"
    The last line does not go away when I move the spindle switch. When I let out the estop button all errors go away.
    So I'm guessing it's the EEPROM.

Be aware that the PIC Revision message is a bit of a red herring. Message contents are stored in the parameter prom, not the PIC prom. You can change the PIC prom all day and the fault message documenting the PIC revision level won't change.

Likewise, the "Spindle in CCW position" is a diagnostic message that will only appear in E-Stop. While in E-stop, it should change with the position of the Spindle switch.

Neither message is an ironclad indication that the PIC EEPROM is bad.

I'm not sure why you think Word 9 Bit B is Spindle Enable? Check page 4 of 5 of the schematic 4203642. I think you want Word 8 Bit F (J2-19) for Spindle CCW and Word 9 Bit 0 (J2-20) for Spindle CW. These +24VDC control outputs pick up control relays RL5 and RL4 respectively. Then, if you look at the right-hand column, these contacts closing will provide 120VAC at TB1-5 and TB1-4 respectively. This should pick up contactors that then power the three-phase spindle motor.

http://www.dynapath.com/images/42036...ingDiagram.pdf