586,024 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > plunge after first move and retract after last move

plunge after first move and retract after last move

would someone be able to give a real world example of where it would be advantageous to use plunge after first move and retract before last move. thanks.

no one has any idea what they are use for?

Jeez. Alright. If you are trying to avoid something and you want to give the tool a fair lead in/out you can use it.

There.
    Tim

For machines that require a tool radius straight line lead in and lead out for cutter compensation and you are cutting something like a 0.281" wide slot with a 1/4" end mill. You can't plunge into the slot and still have 0.125" tool movement to engage cutter compensation. I actually use the feature fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    For machines that require a tool radius straight line lead in and lead out for cutter compensation and you are cutting something like a 0.281" wide slot with a 1/4" end mill. You can't plunge into the slot and still have 0.125" tool movement to engage cutter compensation. I actually use the feature fairly often.
    if i understand you correct plunge after first move and retract before last move is a method to force cutter comp being turned on and off where you have restricted or tight space?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph Jackman View Post
    if i understand you correct plunge after first move and retract before last move is a method to force cutter comp being turned on and off where you have restricted or tight space?
    Yes. That is exactly what I meant to relate. Sorry if it did not come across completely. I have worked 80 hours since last Friday. Today is sort of a day off until 4 PM, then I will be back out to an on site job.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Yes. That is exactly what I meant to relate. Sorry if it did not come across completely. I have worked 80 hours since last Friday. Today is sort of a day off until 4 PM, then I will be back out to an on site job.
    thanks. I would not have figured this out without your help. you are truly a great resource of mastercam knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by Joesph Jackman View Post

LOL...or (my original post) "If you are trying to avoid something and you want to give the tool a fair lead in/out" - - - It ain't that complex!
    Tim

It ain't that complex!

Awwww maaaaaaaan! I'll never figure it out now!

the tool is used to rapid down say to the 1" clreance plane make the leaner move and turn on G41 or G42 then raped down from there to say the .1 above the cut and then feed from there.
    Now when the too is done it will rapid to the 1" then do a leaner move and use G40 to cancel the comp above the part as there was not enough room in the cut for any type of a G01 leaner move to turn on cutter comp. 90 % of machines need a G01 leaner move to turn on comp. Were some like a Fadal can do this on a G02 or G03 move.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .