585,700 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Mistress Build

Hello to all. I'm finally started my first build. I've been lurking in here and learning for about three years untill the funds built up, and I can now proudly proclaim...I KNOW IT ALL!...reality check! Seriously, I have learned a lot from everyone who has posted their builds here and from a lot of websites linked from here. My machine is going to be a compilation of what I think is the best of what everyeone else has done...I like "Joes 2006" torsion box and "Patricks" rails and V groove bearings for starters. I plan to give credit where it is due as I progress thru this so every one can see how I arrived at the final results. I have the entire project done in AutoCAD but I won't post it untill I have permission from the idea originators.

My first question is how do I post the pictures I have as the thumbnails I see other people using? I have about 15 pictures already but I don't want to overload the thread.

If you're are wondering how I arrived with a name like "MISTRESS BUILD" it was actually named by my wife of 37 years. She wants to know how she is going to compete with something that runs by computer and makes widgets?

Lastly for this post...If you see me doing something that might be a problem...Pipe up!!...

I could be wrong but I think that the cnczone software automatically creates the thumbnails. Post and we'll find out.

Chris

On second thought...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ThumbnailsCNCZone.png  

When you post a reply, scroll down to the Additional Options menu and click on Manage Attachments. It will let you browse for files to attach. The files should be 1024x768 pixel or less. You can attach 6 files at a time, but you can do that a few times before submitting the post if you need to. It also gives a list of file types and sizes.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

OK I'll try the first 6 just see how this works.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0945.JPG   IMG_0946.JPG   IMG_0947.JPG   IMG_0948.JPG  

IMG_0949.JPG   IMG_0950.JPG  

Hey! Not to shabby! Now to add captions explaining what I'm doing in the pix.

This is hillarious! For a living I use 6 figure software to program 1/2 million dollar multi-axis machines and I'm just figuring out how to post to a forum.
    CNCZONE created the thumbnails automatically
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Locators and lines for gluing.JPG   Glue spread.JPG   Clamped .JPG   Sufficient glue.JPG  

Never too much reinforcement.JPG   Square & parrallel.JPG   Clamped again.JPG  

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Back again! I had to break off for a small "Honey Do" project...no way was I goingto spend almost $400 for bases for a washer and dryer. Anyway I had a heck of time with the "X" rails. It took me two nights to get them lined up and the gantry was still binding in spots. Then I damaged one by dropping a hammer on it. So I tried using steel angle...more drilling...more TRYING to align everything. Then that little voice in the back of the head says 'Hey! I betcha your crushing the plywood when you tighten the bolts. Sure enough a few checks with verniers and I found out I was + almost .030
    More head scratchin' brought me to sandwich the rails together on one side of the plywood and used a torque wrench to 20ft/lbs now I'm + .004:banana: Rolls smoother than a newborns....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honey Do Proj.JPG   Adjustment Screw.JPG   Face is square.JPG   Me Clutz.JPG  

IMG_0969.JPG   IMG_0971.JPG   IMG_0972.JPG   IMG_0973.JPG  

IMG_0974.JPG   IMG_0976.JPG   Parrallel.JPG  

' been busy...got a little more done. Question for the group. Seeing that my gantry is totally enclosed, should I provide ventilation holes? How hot do these motors get? I got the whole packedge from Keling...they are the 425oz.

Greg

I can only get one picture to upload tonight. I'll have to see what's wrong with the rest of them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 250 ID Flange Bearing.JPG  

I guess this 'puter is gonna bust my chops tonight. Here's a few more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0996.JPG   IMG_0981.JPG   IMG_0979.JPG   IMG_0980.JPG  

IMG_0978.JPG   IMG_0992.JPG   IMG_0983.JPG  

Looks good and interesting great pics I am looking forward to seeing more..

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

FINALLY!!!!! had to upload them one at a time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0983.JPG   IMG_0982.JPG   IMG_0987.JPG   IMG_0988.JPG  

IMG_0989.JPG   IMG_0990.JPG   IMG_0991.JPG   IMG_0998.JPG  

IMG_0999.jpg   IMG_1000.JPG   IMG_1001.JPG   IMG_1002.JPG  

You will probably want to vent the gantry right at the motor. They can get warm sometimes. Your build looks good so far. Look foreward to more updates!

Nice build, looks like it'll be belt drive?
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Your build looks great. Looks like its design around the Blackfoot and Blacktoe. I think that your internal drive shaft bearing support is to far away from the drive pulley and will bow when you add tension on the belt. Another support similar to the photo below or one closer to the pulley on the interior. Look at the link Supports for your X axis drive shaft.

Build Your Tools • View topic - Supports for your X axis drive shafts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gantry Drive Shaft Support.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	156500

Harold

Harold, thanks for the link about the bearing. You can't see it very well but I have a bearing on the inside of the gantry as well as the outside. I hope it's enough support...I might have to add one on the outside of the pully as well.

Greg

I've been busy. Finally got the Y and the Z rolling nice. I only had to do the Z twice. Getting the right shims made in order to use that 1/2" bearing was a real pain in the neck. I did flush the grease out of it and filled it with 90 weight gear lube made it spin a lot easier. It has one of those locking collars on it so I won't have set screws damaging my lead screw. :wee:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1007.JPG   IMG_1008.JPG   IMG_1009.JPG   IMG_1010.JPG  

IMG_1011.JPG  

Found a few more pix in the camara.

Everybody posts the GOOD pictures...I figured why not post a screw up?
    Notice that it doesn't look anything like the AutoBAG drawing.

I'm hoping when I get this build running I can use it to spend my retirement cutting parts for my other "mistresses" as my wife puts it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1013.JPG   IMG_1012.JPG   IMG_1015.JPG   IMG_1014.JPG  

IMG_0814.JPG   IMG_0815.JPG  

I knew I had a couple of pix of the Z in process. It's tough when things are going good I forget to grab the camara.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0990.jpg   IMG_0991.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123