585,567 active members*
3,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Has anyone purchased a NM-200 S3?

Has anyone purchased a NM-200 S3?

All,

I'm on the fence about purchasing a used series 2 and the newer series 3. Has anyone bought a NM-200 S3? Like to know your thoughts.

Thanks

Oh well...

I just bought the S3 so I'll see how it goes.

Must have been awfully breezy up on that fence. Only took a couple hours to push you over...

Congratulations.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Must have been awfully breezy up on that fence. Only took a couple hours to push you over...

Congratulations.

bob
    You have no idea . I've been wanting one of these for years. Best work envelope for the money. Pushed through the novakon horror stories; let's see what happens.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

So no one has purchased an NM-200 series 3? Oh crap, looks like I'm the guinea pig (nuts).

I saw a post before with someone buying the series 3 and seemed to doing very well with their projects. I don't think you are a guinee pig for this model. My series 1 has an AC motor and I think the same VFD. The only difference from mine is my spindle runs at 4500rpm and the new one runs at 6000. I would upgrade to the series 3 without a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MRM RCModels View Post
    You have no idea . I've been wanting one of these for years. Best work envelope for the money. Pushed through the novakon horror stories; let's see what happens.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    What other machines had you researched & what machines does Novakon compete against? (Tormach)?? I only ask because I'm reletively new to this forum, have a heated 40 X 60 shop at home that is basically being used as an oversized garage/storage shed, & I've been CNC programming for over 20 years. Maybe it's time to put something in that shop other than vehicles.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dak1 View Post
    What other machines had you researched & what machines does Novakon compete against? (Tormach)?? I only ask because I'm reletively new to this forum, have a heated 40 X 60 shop at home that is basically being used as an oversized garage/storage shed, & I've been CNC programming for over 20 years. Maybe it's time to put something in that shop other than vehicles.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I researched many machines in the $10,000 range for the past two years: Bolton CNC Mill, CNC Masters Bridgeport CNC clone, Novakon, and Tormach. My priorities were:

1. Structural Design
    2. Machining Envelope
    3. CNC Controller
    4. Support

Structural Design.
    I currently have a CNC'd X3. Did the conversion myself and learned a lot along the way, but a machine will not be what it was not intended to be. The CNC Masters mill almost got me due to the 2600 lbs weight and 5600 rpm motor, but it is a obvious conversion (i.e. wires everywhere!). I definitely wanted something that was DESIGNED to be a CNC machine from the start. The Tormach looks too much like my X3. I know it's not even on the same zip code, but was looking for more of a Bridgeport Boss type machine. The Novakon is a ground up CNC design and weighs over 1200lbs. +1 point Novakon.

Machining Envelope.
    I've built three machines so far. My first project is always bigger than the cutting area no matter how big I build it. My next machine need to be as big as possible without sacrificing much rigidity. Novakon NM-200 has the biggest cutting area and table around. +1 point Novakon.

CNC Controller.
    This was a split between Tormach and Novakon. Both use similar components and mounting options. I'm very familiar with their components, so upgrades and repairs will not be a problem. Draw between Novakon and Tormach.

Support.
    Khai and John are awesome. I've called him with so many stupid questions and he answered all of them. Only problem is that there is not much documentation on their machines. This isn't that big of concern to me, because I'm technically inclined and tend to fix my own problems as they arrise. Cuts the down time between repairs not having to call tech support. On the flip side: Tormach has a huge following on the zone and they document everything. +1 point Tormach.

Summary.
    +2 points NM-200 vs +1 point Tormach. Easy choice.

Building my CNC machines was a great experience and provided confidence that I can fix/replace anything if the mill malfunctions, so documentation isn't that big of a deal.

Good info. Thank you!

Dave