585,991 active members*
4,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > SABRE 1250 bad power supply

SABRE 1250 bad power supply

So I got on the phone today with MAG to get help troubleshooting a fault on the spindle drive listed as ERR 14 "POWER BUS". The machine has sat for over 3 years. After a lot of help from here on the forum getting the batteries changed on the RT and WS boards, the control booted all the way up. After I hit the green power-on button, 10 seconds later I would get 39-6 alarm. I used motion link plus and read the spindle drive fault history which led me to the ERR 14 "POWER BUS" error. While on the phone with MAG, I checked resistor to the power supply and it was in spec. We checked voltage of the DC Bus within the short time that there was supposed to power there before the spindle drive fault. I would get between 5 and 6VDC. It's supposed to be in the 300VDC range. MAG determined that the power supply was bad and gave me info to send it in. My question is: does anyone have a surplus PSR4/5-275 power supply laying around that they want to get rid of at a reasonable price? Anyone capable of fixing these power supplies cheaply and easily?

Get ahold of Mike Kilroy he will save you some money.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredsparks View Post
    ......My question is: does anyone have a surplus PSR4/5-275 power supply laying around that they want to get rid of at a reasonable price? Anyone capable of fixing these power supplies cheaply and easily?
    Yes..... but what do u consider a reasonable price?

Yes..... but what do u consider fix cheaply? (if it was easy wouldnt everyone do it?)

I talked with the very helpful people at Mike Kilroys. They were able to help me double-check that the power supply was bad and then I was given a ball-park price to fix it. It wasn't less than a grand. Ouch. This was supposed to be a hobby mill Anyway, they also talked to me about the battery on the BRAM chip. Since I have just recently changed the WS and RT board batteries, I was told that there is a battery inside the spindle drive on the BRAM chip that is not serviceable by me. It requires specialized software and knowledge to be able to replace it. I guess once I get these repairs, I shouldn't have to deal with these problems for a long time.

Power supplies, per-se are not that high tech devices, it is just that some manufacturers have them custom built for their systems and they are not available of the shelf which makes them 'proprietary'.
    I have ran in to this for the early Mitsubishi systems where the P.S. are no longer made but Mits repair them for around $1500.00.
    If they are single output type or even multi-voltage, a little 'reverse engineering' can produce a replacement at a fraction of the price.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

how often true Al. unfortunately, these spindle power supplies are not in that catagory. they have sophisticated full wave bridge SCR front end for dc. bus control and softstart, they also include +/-18v, +10v logic outputs for the drives. they have about 6 IC regen circuit and control, and a separate +/-12v,+5vdc internal supplies for the internal logic; still seems dumb to double up on the logic power supplies. It also has about 10 IC logic circuits for fault detection of regen faults, faults on both logic supplies, and monitoring and fault output on dc bus. True, it seems this 75amp 325vdc bus supply could be a LOT simpler! BTW, the next gen model became so hard to get we did design our own replacement - with all these functions still.

Jared, sorry for my reply below! no one told me they talked to you; was a busy day friday!