585,969 active members*
4,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Hobbyist or small business with access to CNC lathe/mill

Hobbyist or small business with access to CNC lathe/mill

Hello, I have a small project that I wanted additional guidance on, specifically how to make an ice ball maker. Basically two metal plates with hemispheres cut out of each side that sandwich an ice block to create an ice sphere. Google 'ice ball maker' to get a better idea.

If are any hobbyists or small businesses in Chicago that would be interested in this project, please PM me.

What is your plan? To make a custom one with your design? It seems pretty straight forward, just get the mold hot, put in the ice and then let it melt down into the mold.

Matt

Not even make my own logo. I just wanted one for myself and maybe some friends, and was curious how much it would cost to make, since they retail for an obscene amount of money ($700-$1000).

A simple sphere is under $200.

Japan Trend Shop | Ice Ball Mold for Perfect Ice Spheres

I'd say you are unlikely to find a "small business" that would deliver the same for under $200. If you find the right hobbyist you might be able to get a deal.

The simple sphere would just take a lathe to make, if you're looking fo something like the soccer ball, that would require 3D milling and would explain the high price.

Matt

The one for $200 is only for a mold that's a bit bigger than an inch. Not big enough for drinks if you ask me. Unfortunately, the next step up (55mm) is more than $1K.

I'll keep looking for hobbyists then, since it doesn't look like this would be attractive to small businesses.