585,749 active members*
3,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cutting 1/4" aluminum sheet

Cutting 1/4" aluminum sheet

I want to cut a 4ftx2.5ft aluminum sheet into several pieces. None of the pieces are round. The accuracy is not a big deal (i.e. 1/32 or 1/16). I was thinking of using a skill saw with a thin zip disk on it. Would this be a good way to go. I dont want to go to a machine shop or anything fancy like that and pay big bucks. I want something I can do at home.

I could use a grinder with a zip disk but a skilsaw seems more accurate.

What do you think? Any experience?

Thanks.

A sabre saw with a metal cutting 16-18 TPI blade would work well.

Not familiar wit a zip disk so cannot comment on that.

Ken

ABrasive blades in circular saws doesn't work very well, however, your basic cabide tipped circular saw blade does! When I have to cut aluminum sheet, I just use my B&D circular saw with an ordinary carbide tipped blade - works great. A little WD-40 sprayed on the cut line helps a bit as well.

Don't go too slow or too fast, feed with enough speed so that the tool works a bit. Wear safetly googles - there will be lots of chips flying and they are hot, ear muffs will help too - it is loud.

Chris

Actually a non ferrous circular saw blade (or table saw blade) works quite well. Check your local home improvement store, they usually have something in stock. Make sure you wear good ear and eye protection and you should have a helper for this also. You should have a good grip on the saw (kickbacks can be tough), but once you get over the fear of the first cut, it will be a breeze.

search for: "Non Ferrous Metal Saw Blade"

I am with the last 2 guys ^^.
    The only thing I want to add is that more tteth on the saw blade = better as it reduces the chipload and makes the saw easier to handle.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

actally forrest blades sells a aluminum circular saw cutting blade.......its only worth buying if you plan to cut more aluminum down the road. 125 bucks or so.....

I have used those "non ferrous" blades in multiple saws with very good success.

I have one that I got at Home Depot thats red and called "Diablo" and it has a bunch of carbide tips attached around the perimeter. I got one with the most teeth I could find. I have a 12" one in my chop saw, a 10" one in my table saw, and an 8" one in my circular saw. They all cut very well. For what you are doing I would recommend a table saw, or if you dont have one, a circular saw. Use the same kind of non-ferrous blade, it will work well.

As others said, watch the kickbacks. If you stand directly behind the workpiece, make sure there is something to absorb the force of a kick back. I have split knuckles and bruised ribs from kickbacks on heavier stock.

I have cut everything from sheet Al, sheet Cu, Al plate, brass plate and more. I have cut material up to 3" thick on the table saw with no worries. Use a push stick and wear heavy gloves (welding gloves work well) in case it kicks and smacks your knuckles. DO NOT wear gloves near a rotating blade - just to push the stick. Gloves + blades = bad idea.