585,762 active members*
3,969 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Aluminum adhesive help!

Aluminum adhesive help!

I need some advice, please in regard to an adhesive to bond aluminum sheet together (or a solution) for my situation, I could use some help please!

-

On a 36" long aluminum u-channel rail, I have about a 1.5" wide section I need to ADD .02 thickness to. Its a load-bearing piece, that will have steel-ball bearings running up and down all the time; so Ican not use a piece of acryllic, plastic, or otherwise material that will deteriorate - easily or fast. I plan to find thin aluminum in a straight strip and glue it to the rail.

Can anyone reccomend a PERMINANT adhesive that is good for bonding two pieces of aluminum?

And / or reccomend an adhesive, perminant for bonding umhw to aluminum?
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

You might want to look into Loctite Hysol adhesive.
    I've used it to do some repairs on Indycars. Works extremely well for aluminum to aluminum, as well as aluminum to carbon fiber type situations.
    There are several different flavors available.
    www.hysol.com
    The site can be a bit of a pain to get the the info you need. A local Loctite guy is much more helpful.

Thank you! I believe loc-tite makes all types of different adhesives; I'll probably give their tech-line a call; good advice!
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

DrStein99,
    A teck at locktite talked me into their glassbonder for alum years ago. I glue a 45lb and a 20lb piece together and let it sit overnight. Then hit it with a 3 inch fly cutter .300 deep 55ipm, on a 4th axis until the finished piece is back down to 45lb. You can buff it mirror bright and not see the line, powdercoat at 400 deg or anodize! You just can’t believe what that stuff will hold up to.

http://mymatweb.com/search/SpecificM...ssnum=PLOCT050
    Gary

The sales engineer called me after I ordered a sample; and I managed to order up a batch more new samples from him - including the uv-activated epoxy. I never knew loc-tite to sell anything more then thread-glue; boy I was wrong.

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/SPDAH8000-EN.pdf this is what im going to be using in the next two or three weeks. If you want to know how it went send me over an email. Cost me $100cdn and must be kept refridgerated.

Erik