584,858 active members*
4,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper Motor Woes........

OK, it looked so simple, stepper motors, no big deal, WRONG! I need to use a NEMA 23 370 oz/in. Stepper Motor in a single application, requiring it to run CW and CCW rotation. I have the motor and all of a sudden I find I can't just put a toggle switch in line and do what I want. It appears I need a driver, power supply, etc, etc,etc. Man what a mess! I have a Model # RS23-570 motor I bought from HomeshopCNC online, the tag on the motor = 60HS78DE076B-01,
    it was manufactured 2011-05-04. It bolts up to my part fine, now what???????
    Dummy in the Delta

Welcome to the world of CNC.

Yes every motor needs a power supply.
    Steppers need a stepper driver.
    The stepper driver needs inputs like STEP pulses and a DIRection pulse/level.
    Where will you get these pulses if you are not using a computer?

You may need to re-examine your project.
    OR
    You will need to do a lot of reading on this zone.

Thanks for a speedy reply, not what I was hoping to hear, but a reply anyway. I am familiar with CNC equipment, but this seemed like such a simple thing.......... I was not aware of the traits of stepper motors, other than they were less expensive than servo motors and had less "baggage" than servos. I knew they would have to have power and have several voltages available on the machine to choose from. Just didn't know the wiring was so complicated when all I needed was CW and CCW motion, no voltage sensing, etc., just up and down................ Thanks again for the reply.

You can use a "standalone" stepper motor driver (incorporating a pulse generator) instead of using a computer.

There are examples that range all the way from extremely simple DIY projects to off-the-shelf equipment.

For example, if you do a search on "rotary table indexer" you may find something suitable to drive a single stepper motor in CW or CCW direction.

deltafab,

Depending on the power required (370 oz-in?), you may be able to go with a DC motor. This you connect to a power supply via a toggle switch for direction.

You didn't mention speed control, which is another reason we use steppers. Steppers also have accurate shaft position control, which a DC motor doesn't - unless it has an encoder like your servo idea.

Your requirements will dictate which means is most appropriate for you. As doorknob has pointed out you can find a means to control a stepper as a standalone circuit.

Another option is the Linistepper clock project
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/LiniClock/index.htm
    or telescope mount
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/equatorial.htm

Each of those provide a stepper drive with the clock source built in. You can rig up your own switch to the direction input to change the direction manually.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)